none
Very difficult to track thread follow-up posts RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a very hard time seeing that somebody posted to a thread I contributed to.  The My Threads page doesn't use a bold font to indicate I haven't yet seen the latest post to a thread.  Scanning the "last reply" line for each entry in the page doesn't help (too small and I'd have to memorize whom I saw post last).  The Alerts page is just a copy of My Threads page (got the Alert Me checkbox set), it also doesn't bold the font and shows posts I've made.  It doesn't alert me of anything at all.

Email alerts are delivered without any hint of the content of the follow-up post.  I have to open every single one in a tab and try to locate the post.  A great deal of scanning and window juggling.  Nor can I see who marked the thread as answered.  It matters.

Getting unread posts bolded in My Threads would help take the sting out of all this.  Please consider it a priority.

Hans Passant.
    Saturday, May 31, 2008 8:17 PM

Answers

• I'm having a very hard time seeing that somebody posted to a thread I contributed to. 

Getting unread posts bolded in My Threads would help take the sting out of all this. 

Great feedback nobugz,

If you view "My Threads" and select the Unread filter in the filter bar, it should show you threads you have contributed to that have replies you haven't read yet. Can you try that out and report back on how it covers some of the priority scenarios you detailed? 

Non Bolding thread that contain posts you have made makes a lot of sense.  The My Alerts should show you all the threads you have subscribed to receive live alerts. When you say "it doesn't alert me at all" are you saying that you are not getting alerts delivered?

Brent Serbus STO Forums Program Manager
    Saturday, May 31, 2008 11:22 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I'm having a very hard time seeing that somebody posted to a thread I contributed to. 

Getting unread posts bolded in My Threads would help take the sting out of all this. 

Great feedback nobugz,

If you view "My Threads" and select the Unread filter in the filter bar, it should show you threads you have contributed to that have replies you haven't read yet. Can you try that out and report back on how it covers some of the priority scenarios you detailed? 

Non Bolding thread that contain posts you have made makes a lot of sense.  The My Alerts should show you all the threads you have subscribed to receive live alerts. When you say "it doesn't alert me at all" are you saying that you are not getting alerts delivered?

Brent Serbus STO Forums Program Manager
    Saturday, May 31, 2008 11:22 PM
    Answerer
  • It looks like the Unread filter might work.  Thanks for that!

The bold font on the thread titles is however often wrong in the regular forums too.  I'm seeing bolded titles for threads I've read yesterday and got no additional posts.  And somewhat worse, seeing titles un-bolded that I've never read.  This was a problem with the old platform too, although not nearly as frequent.  I guessed at SQL Server replication problems.  Did we inherit this?

No problem with alert delivery, just a throw-away remark that the Alerts page doesn't alert me of anything that deserves my attention.

Hans Passant.
    Sunday, June 1, 2008 7:03 PM
  • > My Threads page doesn't use a bold font to indicate I haven't yet seen the latest post to a thread.

I must agree that it is difficult to determine which threads have had additional posts since the last time you read the thread.  The "Unread" button works great as you describe, but greater visual feedback to differentiate these threads would be most useful.
    Monday, June 9, 2008 11:43 PM
  • Hans:

On a related note, in "My Threads" (and elsewhere) I always use the default "all threads" filter with "last post" sorting and I just scan the "last reply" line, which works for me (I have the text size increased for readability).

However, if someone just marks or proposes a post (maybe mine!) as an answer, this does not force the thread to the top of the list. An additional sort option of "last action" (or just replace "last post" by "last action") would be very useful.

I guess I also think that "last action" would be more useful than "last reply" in the display of each thread.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 11:07 AM
  • I agree somewhat.  What interests me is who marked the thread as answered.  The Chinese techs are sometimes a bit quick with the Answered button, I want to make sure the OP got a decent answer.  The old way email alerts were formatted worked really well for that.  the new alerts always require me to open yet another tab to see what really happened.  It feels like I'm endlessly juggling tabs and scrolling to find the relevant post.  Which is a bit odd, the old interface required me to use tabs too.  Maybe it's the raw modal switch between preview to thread view and alert email to thread view.

I dying to see a spec for a WSDL API so I can put my own fat client together.  Answerers and moderators just have very different UI needs from a user.  Well, I do.

Hans Passant.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:10 PM