none
Azure certification for a developer

Question

• I'm planning on doing the following exams to gain the MCSD: Azure Solutions Architect certification (or whatever it's going to be called after this month):

• 70-532 Developing Microsoft Azure Solutions
    • 70-533 Implementing Microsoft Azure Infrastructure Solutions
    • 70-534 Architecting Microsoft Azure Solutions

I'm an experienced .NET developer and I'm after thoughts on which order to tackle them.  Answers on a postcard please.

Thursday, March 23, 2017 6:39 PM

Answers

• As I understand it the MCSD: Azure Solutions Architect certification will transition into the MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure certification after March 31 2017. 

I actually just completed the 70-532 exam last month (Feb) and the 70-533 the month before that (Jan) with the 70-534 exam scheduled before the deadline at the end of this month (March). I chose to hit it in that order given that I come from an implementation background and not the development side. Since you are the opposite I would recommend going: 70-532, 70-533, then 70-534 as that is likely the easiest/most familiar route for you. 

Tips on studying:

70-532:

• Practice, Practice, Practice. 
    • Expect to see: C#, .Net, XML, JSON, web dev, and PowerShell. 

70-533: 

• work on JSON and PowerShell .... ARM v2 deployments and visual studio/web deploy. 

I recommend using the Azure cert promotion MS is doing right now: $99 USD for 1 exam voucher, 1 retake, and a practice exam (30 day access) from measure up. A warning though, the measure up practice tests for the 3 exams in the azure track have some major issues. (a few incorrect answers, mismatching info, and spelling errors) although their staff loosely committed to fixing any issues around July 2017. At the end the practice exams are worth the money since they are the only MS endorsed practice exam product on the market. 

Training: 

I used Puralsight for my video training but honestly it was only worth it for the 70-533 exam. The courses on Udemy.com from Scott Duffy where the most up to date and best price point training out there that I could find for the 70-532 and 70-534 exams. (They were last updated in Jan 2017, I believe.)

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Thursday, March 23, 2017 9:50 PM
  • No problem Barrie, glad I could help out! 

To your question about Pluralsight: I watched all the course videos for all three exams that they have up at the moment. To be honest though only the 70-533 'Pre 2017' course was worth the time. The others have great information, but its mostly all covering ASM and missing out on some new items that you can expect to see on the updated exams you will be taking. 

Score! The value those udemy courses bring at that price point is outstanding. I haven't done any formal training like the others posted about, but that's mostly because I am cheap/paying for it myself. 

I am not sure if it would work out for you or not, but I would recommend checking out getting an 'Action Pack' subscription from MS through the Microsoft Partner Network. Check out around online first though, you might be able to find a 50% off coupon for it. The reason why I wanted to mention this is if you don't already have access to free azure credits to use each month for dev/learning then you might want to check out the Action Pack route. They give you $100 usd per month in azure credits for a year, plus a ton of licenses to just about everything, EMS, Office 365, and Azure AD premium... all for less then $300 usd for a year. 

Just as an update, I passed the 70-534 exam on my first try. I watched all the pluralsight courses on that exam and the Scott Duffy course from Udemy. (plus lots of dev / practice & practice exams from Measure Up) The Udemy course was for sure the best use of my study time, video course wise, I could have skipped the pluralsight videos all together and would have done just as well.

Last note, if you want to get deep into ARM and Json deployments check out the Pluralsight course: ' Azure Resource Manager Deep Dive by James Bannan ' while it isn't directly applicable to any one exam I found it a huge help in working with JSON and ARM visual studio template deployments, which seemed to be touched on in all three exams.

Cheers,

Tom

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 4:11 PM

All replies

• As I understand it the MCSD: Azure Solutions Architect certification will transition into the MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure certification after March 31 2017. 

I actually just completed the 70-532 exam last month (Feb) and the 70-533 the month before that (Jan) with the 70-534 exam scheduled before the deadline at the end of this month (March). I chose to hit it in that order given that I come from an implementation background and not the development side. Since you are the opposite I would recommend going: 70-532, 70-533, then 70-534 as that is likely the easiest/most familiar route for you. 

Tips on studying:

70-532:

• Expect to see: C#, .Net, XML, JSON, web dev, and PowerShell. 

70-533: 

• work on JSON and PowerShell .... ARM v2 deployments and visual studio/web deploy. 

I recommend using the Azure cert promotion MS is doing right now: $99 USD for 1 exam voucher, 1 retake, and a practice exam (30 day access) from measure up. A warning though, the measure up practice tests for the 3 exams in the azure track have some major issues. (a few incorrect answers, mismatching info, and spelling errors) although their staff loosely committed to fixing any issues around July 2017. At the end the practice exams are worth the money since they are the only MS endorsed practice exam product on the market. 

Training: 

I used Puralsight for my video training but honestly it was only worth it for the 70-533 exam. The courses on Udemy.com from Scott Duffy where the most up to date and best price point training out there that I could find for the 70-532 and 70-534 exams. (They were last updated in Jan 2017, I believe.)

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Thursday, March 23, 2017 9:50 PM
  • Some good advice there, thanks Tom.

I have the Azure Triple Pack already as it looked like a no brainer.

Re the Pluralsight training for 70-533 all I see is "Pre 2017" courses.  Which ones did you use?

Great tip on the Udemy courses btw.  I just bought 7 courses at £10 each!!!

Thanks again.

Cheers, Barrie

Friday, March 24, 2017 8:42 AM
  • Hi,

you have taken the really great decision but I want to add something here. I would like to recommend koenig solutions one the best options for course

Get Know details try to time out & check out this website - www.koenig-solutions.com

Thursday, March 30, 2017 10:25 AM
  • Hi

<advertising removed by moderator>

Friday, March 31, 2017 9:11 PM
  • No problem Barrie, glad I could help out! 

To your question about Pluralsight: I watched all the course videos for all three exams that they have up at the moment. To be honest though only the 70-533 'Pre 2017' course was worth the time. The others have great information, but its mostly all covering ASM and missing out on some new items that you can expect to see on the updated exams you will be taking. 

Score! The value those udemy courses bring at that price point is outstanding. I haven't done any formal training like the others posted about, but that's mostly because I am cheap/paying for it myself. 

I am not sure if it would work out for you or not, but I would recommend checking out getting an 'Action Pack' subscription from MS through the Microsoft Partner Network. Check out around online first though, you might be able to find a 50% off coupon for it. The reason why I wanted to mention this is if you don't already have access to free azure credits to use each month for dev/learning then you might want to check out the Action Pack route. They give you $100 usd per month in azure credits for a year, plus a ton of licenses to just about everything, EMS, Office 365, and Azure AD premium... all for less then $300 usd for a year. 

Just as an update, I passed the 70-534 exam on my first try. I watched all the pluralsight courses on that exam and the Scott Duffy course from Udemy. (plus lots of dev / practice & practice exams from Measure Up) The Udemy course was for sure the best use of my study time, video course wise, I could have skipped the pluralsight videos all together and would have done just as well.

Last note, if you want to get deep into ARM and Json deployments check out the Pluralsight course: ' Azure Resource Manager Deep Dive by James Bannan ' while it isn't directly applicable to any one exam I found it a huge help in working with JSON and ARM visual studio template deployments, which seemed to be touched on in all three exams.

Cheers,

Tom

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 4:11 PM