Server Backup Fails to Start RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been having trouble getting the server backup to reliably run.  I can get the first backup to complete but then subsequent backups always fail unless I reboot the server and then start the backup.  The error being shown by windows server backup is as follows:

Description: Backup

Backup Location: OFFSITE #2

Status: Failed - Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.

My OFFSITE #2 disk has not had a backup copied to it yet.  It shows as having 1863GB available.  My backup set size is 1063GB.

If I reboot the backup will begin.  Any ideas on what is causing this?  The only thing I have done that may be out of the ordinary is turning on Previous Versions for the folders (shared drives) on the server.

I was able to complete a full backup to my OFFSITE #1 disk.  Now if I do not reboot no more backups will run.

Chad

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:46 AM

Answers

• What are the disk capacities, both the server and the backup disks?

On the server it needs enough space to create the volume snapshots, and backup can fail due to that even if there is space on the target disks.

This could be a bug, and you should definitely open one through connect.

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:58 AM

All replies

• Are both of your disks attached at the same time. If both are attached the backup will happen to Disk 1.
    Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:48 AM
  • No.

I set them up and then removed disk 2 when instructed.  The backup completed to disk 1 which is now offsite.  Disk 2 was reconnected and has failed with this message at 11:00am this morning and then again when I tried to manually start the backup from the dashboard at noon today.

Chad

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:55 AM

On the server it needs enough space to create the volume snapshots, and backup can fail due to that even if there is space on the target disks.

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:58 AM

Bodhi Deb - MSFT

Thanks for the quick responses.

The server contains (3) 1 TB disks.  My (2) backup disks are 2 TB each.  A complete backup of everything is about 1 TB.

Dashboard shows the following:

Free Space: 1112 GB

Total Space: 2428 GB

Space used for duplication: 217 GB

I have 343 GB of unduplicated DVD ISOs and 531 GB of computer backups which are also unduplicated.  I did not turn previous versions on for the DVD share or the Network Computer Backup share.

I will post to Connect tonight and link here.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:59 AM
  • Looking at the info you provided this should work, so definitely sounds like a bug.

BTW can you check how much free space you have on C drive? There should be enough space left for a snapshot but want to confirm. Its also interesting that your backups work after a reboot.

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:55 AM
  • Looking at the info you provided this should work, so definitely sounds like a bug.

BTW can you check how much free space you have on C drive? There should be enough space left for a snapshot but want to confirm. Its also interesting that your backups work after a reboot.

Bodhi Deb - MSFT

Free space on drive C = 44.3GB

I have posted the bug on Connect:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/558291/server-backup-fails-to-start#

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 5:49 AM
  • Well - now that I posted this to connect the 11:00pm backup has decided to go ahead and start running without error or reboot...  Not sure what to make of this.

Chad

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:34 AM
  • There maybe a bug in how DE reports the free and used space. DE does a bunch of things internally when storage is added to the pool. Hopefully you opened the bug at the time it was failing.
    Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 5:41 PM