Loss of Backup DB due to disconnected external Firewire Drive, plus other issues. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

My Home Server is still in a "beta" stage, since I am waiting for a real machine to be available in Europe.

It currently is an old Laptop with 2 internal drives, and two daisy-chained external Firewire drives. Occasionally the Firewire connection to the two external drives gets loose, and both drives disconnect at the same time.

A number of not-nice things happen then:

1. I cannot simply re-attach the external drives to the running system. WHS never sees them again in a consistent manner. Often, both drives are reported as faulty, equally often one is reconnected, but the other drive remains faulty. Both drives are always visible in e.g. device manager.
    2. In about 50% of the cases a reboot resolves the issue. In the other 50% the backup service fails to start, and one or both drives remain faulty. So far after 4 reboots at most all is back to normal.
    3. In one occasion so far the Home Server decided at one point (while starting up) that the Backup DB is faulty and removed all backups.
    4. By now I have accumulated about 10-15 issues around file permissions (I can't read files anymore without resetting the permission directly on the home server; Plus the Home Server Toolkit reports inconsistencies between Tombstone and the Files). I don't know if this is related to the above

Since I use the backup feature only for backup and not for archiving, I did not loose any data. Also, I never lost any data from shared folders so far.

Three questions:

1. Is it wrong to assume that I won't loose any data (backup DB included) from temporary drive failures, as long as harddrives eventually become online again?
    2. Is it possible that I can temporarily loose one harddisk, but not two at the same time? If not two, what about port-replicated eSATA drives? Would such a configuration not be supported?
    3. Or can the whole issue be written off due to my "unsupported" setup (Notebook computers are officially unsupported)?

Thanks for any insight! Best regards, Martin

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 7:38 AM

Answers

• While I am hesitant to say that your configuration is entirely to blame, I am certain that it's at least a major contributing factor. If you want to use your WHS for anyything more than testing the operating system and features, you should migrate to a supported configuration.
    Wednesday, March 5, 2008 1:07 PM
  • Windows Home Server can run into a bunch of issues on a variety of laptops, that is why it is not supported.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 1:20 AM

All replies

• While I am hesitant to say that your configuration is entirely to blame, I am certain that it's at least a major contributing factor. If you want to use your WHS for anyything more than testing the operating system and features, you should migrate to a supported configuration.
    Wednesday, March 5, 2008 1:07 PM
  • I agree that once my Scaleo Home Server arrives, I won't see this specific error again, at least initially. And yes, you are right to assume that I don't rely on my handmade home server in any unrecoverable way.

As far as I can see, my Home Server has two problems:

1. Re-attaching daisy-chained external firewire drives reliably after a cable failure.

2. Remaining "patient" enough to await full availability of all external drives again, possibly over the cause of several reboots (instead, it deletes all backups).

At least problem 2 seems to be generic, and might happen on supported configurations as well. Problem 1 might well be related to my Laptop.

Thanks for your answer! Regards, Martin

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 8:07 PM
  • Windows Home Server can run into a bunch of issues on a variety of laptops, that is why it is not supported.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 1:20 AM