CRM2011 Bulk Importing: Update only specified fields/columns RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I'm  using CRM 2011 online and I'd like to find out if there's a built-in functionality:  my company will usually export a whole bunch of leads into excel, do some dedupe in excel, and hand them over to our vendor for telecalls.

when they hand us back the file, perhpas only certain fields per record are changed. For example, one record might have an updated phone number and email address, while another has a new contact person and address.   I'll then copy all the information (regardless of changed or not) back into the file that can be uploaded directly to CRM.

My question is:  Is there a way to write a process such that only those updated fields are replaced in CRM?  If yes, what is the unique identifier that tells CRM that I want to replace those fields in lead Record A and not Record B (if Record B has the same company name, but different person)?

Another question is: we also buy databases and then import them into CRM. these databases are updated every ear.  So now I have DB2012 sitting in CRM, where some records have already been updated through telecalls.  When I upload DB2013, how would I write the process such that when importing, CRM will only overwrite a record, IF there has been no updates to it in Year 2012?

apologies in advance if my explanation seems a bit confusing.   And I would prefer pretty straightforward solutions, as I'm still not very good at the background admin/process writing.

Thanks

Nicole

Friday, October 12, 2012 9:24 AM

Answers

• When doing the export/import - CRM will only perform an update on those records that have data that has been changed. Records in the import that have not been changed to not get updated and their modified on date does not change. 

If you were to open up the XML file in a text editor you will see a lot more information that what appears if you opened it in Excel. Basically there is a checksum value stored in this additional data based on what was exported - when the data is re-imported the value is recalculated based on the present values - if the 2 values are different an update is made.

As far as the question about importing, an import will only overwrite an existing record if you followed the process of first exporting it with the option to re-import. With that said, you might export all the records with that option, and use some Excel magic to filter on the records no modified in 2012. Perhaps then you could use Excel functionality like VLOOKUP to find the new information from the 2013 set of records. 

Jason Lattimer

Friday, October 12, 2012 6:07 PM

All replies

• Hi nicoleong.

The first question - at my best knowledge, this is not possible,

The second - here you can use the modifiedon field on each record - if this is newer than the last import - you should not import this record else you should import the record.

--- Best regards Henrik Skydtsgaard

Friday, October 12, 2012 9:42 AM
  • When doing the export/import - CRM will only perform an update on those records that have data that has been changed. Records in the import that have not been changed to not get updated and their modified on date does not change. 

If you were to open up the XML file in a text editor you will see a lot more information that what appears if you opened it in Excel. Basically there is a checksum value stored in this additional data based on what was exported - when the data is re-imported the value is recalculated based on the present values - if the 2 values are different an update is made.

As far as the question about importing, an import will only overwrite an existing record if you followed the process of first exporting it with the option to re-import. With that said, you might export all the records with that option, and use some Excel magic to filter on the records no modified in 2012. Perhaps then you could use Excel functionality like VLOOKUP to find the new information from the 2013 set of records. 

Jason Lattimer

Friday, October 12, 2012 6:07 PM