none
ERROR CODE 651

Question

• Hi , I'm running a DELL PC ,with Windows 7 (64 BIT ) Service Pack 1 .

My PC is 3 years old , I'm still with the same broadband provider , I've  never had any problems . Until early hours ,1/5/2015 , when I tried to install Windows Updates ,1 critical update failed to install . So I looked up the error code on microsoft.com forum , a similar question had already been answered by Microsoft Tech Support . They said the solution was to delete all temporary files and caches associated with previous Windows Updates , then re-install the failed update. I did all this , the update still failed despite many retries . I then noticed a red X on the internet connection icon on the Taskbar near the clock , then I gradually lost all internet access .I double clicked the icon ,it showed my router ,I clicked on connect ,a window opened which says 'connecting through WAN Miniport (PPPOE) ' which is wrong as my router and DSL connection are (PPPoA) . The window also says ' Error 651: The modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error. '    After several hours on the 'phone to my broadband provider, there is no progress .  Apparently this problem is peculiar to Windows 7 .    PLEASE HELP !    Neil .

• Moved by Just KarlModerator Tuesday, October 27, 2015 8:33 PM Looking for the correct forum.
    Sunday, May 3, 2015 3:43 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I'd ask in the Windows Update forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion'

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 8:32 PM

All replies

• Hello,

The MSDN, TechNet and Expression Library Feedback forum is to "Help improve the Library Experience in MSDN, TechNet and Expression by providing feedback on features, bugs, look and feel or by just providing suggestions". This is not a support forum.

As it's off-topic here, I am moving the question to the Where is the forum for... forum.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

• Hello,

I'd ask in the Windows Update forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion'

Karl