Second server in large workgroup RRS feed

• Question

• I'll be installing my 4th WHS sometime this week. I've not done anything fancy. I've actually never used the music or media sharing capabilities nor have I used and add-in yet. I'm using it in small charitable orgs as a backup and remote access machine. My question is this: I seem to remember reading something about possibly using 2 WHS's in a large workgroup and just pointing additional workstations to the second server. Do I remember this right? Is it possible? I have one org that has a few too many machines and users. I imagine the backups would work but remoting into the server and individual computers would be problematic since the ports can only be pointed at one server or the other not both.

Thanks,
    Timmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 1:33 AM

All replies

• You will have to choose one server or the other as the host for remote access, and only computers joined to that server will be reachable with Remote Desktop. This is because the RDP proxy built into Windows Home Server is wired down to port 4125.

So you would want to join computers running home versions of Windows to the server that's not reachable through remote access, and other computers to the server that is. If all your computers are running versions of Windows that support incoming remote desktop connections, you'll have to choose which ones are more important, and which are less so.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 2:33 AM