none
Visual Studio development Forum never answers questions. RRS feed

• Question

• I have always developed in Visual Studio since Visual Studio 3 came out.  However, ever since Visual Studio 2005 came out with each new iteration of Visual Studio I have difficulty finding out how to do certain things that I used to do in the previous version Visual Studio.  However each time I put in a forum entry in the Visual Studio Development, it gets moved moved to Off-Topics Posts area.  I am told the the request I am making on how to carry out an action in the latest version of Visual Studio is not the reposibility of the Visual Studio Development Forum.  The lastest issue had to do with clearing the cache from the Visual Studio Development Server.  The person reading it directed me to a Stackoverflow entry on how to prevent caching in the first place, (which provides no help in clearing the existing cached pages), then moved to post to the Off Topics Forum where no one else would see it. 

It seems to me if something was added to the IDE like Visual Studio Development Server, or installed by the Visual Studio installation like IIS Express, and you are required by default to use it in development by the Visual Studio IDE, then the Visual Studio Development Forum should answer questions about it.

Edward R. Joell MCSD MCDBA

Thursday, February 20, 2014 1:40 PM

All replies

• Hello,

There actually is no "Visual Studio Development" forum.

There are a bunch of forums that are under that category, so depending on where you post, your post is indeed off topic.

It sounds to me like your questions MIGHT belong on http://forums.asp.net/

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C40686F746D61696C2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Monday, February 24, 2014 9:13 PM
  • They reply that the questions relate to how to use Visual studio and are no concern of theirs.

Monday, February 24, 2014 9:40 PM
  • Edward,

In my idea there is no Visual Studio Development forum only a tab which contains a bunch of forums.

This is since the introduction of Windows 8. The design was then changed to be handled like the tremendous success Windows 8. With the difference that there is still not yet a 8.1 version which brings us back the old usability for developers.

We have to do with it, lot of former features are removed to make it better fitting for touch screens to make it more fit on the Microsofts success products Windows Phone and Surface.

Be aware those tabs are not available on Chrome

Success
    Cor

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 8:48 AM
  • Tab?  On this page, http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?category=visualstudio , I see an accordian view with checkboxes for the each of the forums under it.  (Of course I am using Windows 7 with IE 8 as mandated by DoN.)

Under here there is a Visual Studio General Questions (Which I would think would cover "How to"s including tool bar buttons, menu options to carry out various tasks in the IDE,) and Visual studio Editor which I would not think would cover things like tool bar buttons and menu option to carry out various actions, but on how to carry out actions on the code view/design view windows.  I would not expect to find out things like how to run razor or how to build an action result.  But I would expect to see how to call the Add View wizard by right clicking on an action in the Controller.  If I had not had seen the video, it would never had occurred to me to right click on the code to add a view.  I would have done this by right clicking on the folder and selecting add new item.  By the same token I would not expect to be prohibted from adding a new controller by right clicking on the Controllers folder.  But I would expect a forum in how to use the IDE to explain this to me, or explain what the problem is.

• Edited by joeller Tuesday, February 25, 2014 3:22 PM
    Tuesday, February 25, 2014 3:20 PM
  • Hello,

In your specific example, You are talking about MVC and as such really do need to post in forums.asp.net. They even have an MVC section: ASP.Net MVC forum on forums.asp.net.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C40686F746D61696C2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

• Proposed as answer by Naomi NModerator Thursday, March 6, 2014 4:04 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by joeller Thursday, March 6, 2014 4:07 PM
    Tuesday, February 25, 2014 3:40 PM
  • Edward,

Since the start of Windows 8 these forums are designed to be used on tablets and phones. Like you know all developers use those to develop (that is not my opinion and probably also not yours). We've got a touch based design. 

You know what is happening with Windows 8 and in April it seems we get even a further update in Windows 8.1 to bring us back again to the real Microsoft desktop experience. These forums are however going on in classic Windows 8 style. 

This is how the forum looks from which you gave the link in Internet Explorer 

While this is in Chrome

Some are confused by that and probably you post in one of the forums, but the chance that it is the right one is just a game. Be aware I even doubt if you can ask question with Chrome to the forums, since then many persons don't use the forums anymore. To this forum you can for instance not ask questions using Chrome.

Success
    Cor

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 4:36 PM
  • I will go out to the ASP.Net forum and add an entry on how my Create View Wizard's scaffolding is creating strongly typed views with no fields and only a begin form and a submit button. 

Note that this has nothing to do with code, which is the strong point of that forum. And we shall see what kind of answers I get. 

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 7:56 PM
  • And now I ask why is Visual Studio 2012 listing a number of extra files and foreign folders into my bin folder and not even physically creating all of them, whereas VS 2010 did not do so and I am told that is an Asp.Net question? 

If it were an Asp.Net issue this would be happening with all version of Visual Studio.  But when I create the exact same project in Visual Studio 2010, I do NOT get those extraneous files and folders.  And addition aadding a listing to the bin for a file that doesn't even exist?  How can that possibly be a Asp.Net issue?

Are the moderators of this forum just afraid to answer questions or are they trying to hide flaws in Visual Studio?

Thursday, March 6, 2014 2:46 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried posting in the 'Setup and Installation' (Discuss and ask questions about the install and setup of Visual Studio) or 'Editor' (Discuss and ask questions about editor features in Visual Studio) subforums? It sounds to me like you're asking questions about the product itself, rather than questions about its usage, so I'd probably post in one of those forums myself.

EDIT: Looks like the Editor forum is dead, but check the sticky post for additional forums to try.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,700+ strong and growing)

Thursday, March 6, 2014 4:32 PM
  • Well I would not say it is about the set up rather about the behavior it carries out by default without any input from me. 

However, since it does have to do with what I need to do so it does not behave like that, I suppose that could come under Set up.  But it definitely is NOT concerning Asp.Net.  Both of the question above were submitted to the Asp.Net forum, and surprise, surprise, there were few replies and no valid answers.

And why is it that each time you try to insert crlf into one of these forum post in edit mode the next ten words or so in the text following are deleted.

• Edited by joeller Thursday, March 6, 2014 4:46 PM
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 4:43 PM