Folder duplication RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I have in my WHS two 300 Gb HHDD.

I have only 250 Gb used and I want to enable the folder duplication, so my question is: I know that folder duplication use the second disk to make an image of the first one, but what happened when the first one is full?.

If my data amount is more than 300 Gb the folder duplication still will be enable?

Thanks

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 9:50 AM

Answers

• If you have 2, 300gb drives, the main drive uses 20gb system, so you only have 280 gb to put "stuff"  the second drive has 300, so it will fit Smile

But no, it can not duplicate "all" if the second drive is say 120gb.  You would have to add more drive(s)

And it does not "image" it stores a copy of folders selected for duplication

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 12:19 PM
  • With two drives in your WHS, the second drive (without a drive letter) is used for primary storage of all files (and maybe backups). The primary storage drive (D: ) will be used for duplication (and maybe backups). So if you have a total of 250 GB of data and you enable share duplication for all network shares on WHS, you will consume 250 GB on both drives. Backups will have to fit in any remaining space. If you have more than 300 GB of data before duplication, you will have to prioritize the shares that get duplication turned on, because you won't be able to duplicate all of it.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 2:53 PM

All replies

• If you have 2, 300gb drives, the main drive uses 20gb system, so you only have 280 gb to put "stuff"  the second drive has 300, so it will fit Smile

But no, it can not duplicate "all" if the second drive is say 120gb.  You would have to add more drive(s)

And it does not "image" it stores a copy of folders selected for duplication

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 12:19 PM
  • With two drives in your WHS, the second drive (without a drive letter) is used for primary storage of all files (and maybe backups). The primary storage drive (D: ) will be used for duplication (and maybe backups). So if you have a total of 250 GB of data and you enable share duplication for all network shares on WHS, you will consume 250 GB on both drives. Backups will have to fit in any remaining space. If you have more than 300 GB of data before duplication, you will have to prioritize the shares that get duplication turned on, because you won't be able to duplicate all of it.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 2:53 PM
  • Ok, perfectly understanded.

Thanks a lot.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 3:54 PM