Primary (system) drive size? RRS feed

• Question

• Why is it recommended that the system drive be so large, or even as the first beta suggested, the largest drive?

This just doesn't make sense to me.  Can I not survive with a 15GB system drive, 10GB utility/cache drive, and all other drives for data?   Please help me understand the method to this madness. (joking)

Clarify: 

1 physical drive 60-80GB  3 partitions

1) 15GB system

2) 10GB utility/cache

3) remainder for data  + 2 additional 500GB drives.

So because I want to use a smaller drive for primary system for DR and security will this affect my performance, and how?

Thanks...

Friday, April 20, 2007 2:09 PM

All replies

• There are a few reasons that I can think of:

1. Due to the drive extender technology that we are using, we hit a filesystem limitation that the maximum size of a single file that could be copied over to WHS is limited by the amount of free space available in system drive. For ex: If you have 3.5 GB free in system drive, the single biggest file you could copy over successfully to WHS (irrespective of the free space on other drives) would be 3.5GB or less. Please note that this limit is for the size of a single file, not the total size of copy. That is, you can copy 30GB (10 files, 3 GB each) easily.

2. Many people would want to install some extensions and applications on home server, which can only be installed to C:\. We do not want to run out of space if somebody installs a few applications there.

Friday, April 20, 2007 2:21 PM
  • Ooooh...

So there are some limitations under the hood.  So as an end user as long as I have assumed a maximum single file size for copying to WHS I should be able to use a smaller primary drive?

Makes sense.  If I anticipate the largest file copy I would have would not exceed 20GB then I could accept a 35GB primary drive/partition.

Now the other limitation my hurt.  Examples would include software packages which uses large swap files seem to work much better on their own partition (audio video conversion), security apps, antivirus apps for quarantine purposes.

Thanks.

Friday, April 20, 2007 2:37 PM
  •  Mark OD wrote:

Now the other limitation my hurt. Examples would include software packages which uses large swap files seem to work much better on their own partition (audio video conversion), security apps, antivirus apps for quarantine purposes.

Audio/video converters don't really belong on a server. They are applications, and should be used on desktop machines. A server "application" is really intended for A) 24/7 operation, and B) minimal direct user interaction (i.e. at the physical or virtual console). For example audio or video streaming tools, database engines, file servers, etc. are all "server applications".

For the most part, though, that limitation is probably there for simplicity. A 10 GB system partition is large enough for the base OS, the additional WHS components, and a number of modest sized add-ins. The average user of WHS will never interact directly with the operating system, so they will never see this as a limitation.
    Friday, April 20, 2007 5:55 PM