WHS - Basic Active Directory RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - I have a small home network with about 5 PCs.

• Mine
    • My wife's
    • MediaCenter 2005
    • Shared Laptop
    • Tablet PC

One of the things I would like is ActiveDirectory, but on a basic scale. I don't need all of the fancy stuff - but something like Folder Redirection (for My Documents) so that they would point to the server automatically would be nice.

Additionally - I would also like the AD functionality so that I don't have to create the user accounts on every PC. Ideally - I'd like the PC to get the list of valid users from WHS. That way - when I log on to my wife's PC, My Documents is automatically routed to my files without me having to manually do this.

Thanks!

Vernon Vincent

Monday, April 30, 2007 3:49 PM

All replies

• At this point, I doubt that AD (in any form) will make it into this version of WHS. There are several suggestions about this type of functionality on Connect, e.g. this one.

In the meantime, you can use My Documents folder redirection to create pseudo-roaming profiles. There's no option but manually creating new accounts on new PCs, I'm afraid. How often will you need to do this, anyway? Typically once per PC purchase or rebuild. So it's not super convenient, but the advantage of AD in the home is pretty minimal.
    Monday, April 30, 2007 7:04 PM