DELL and WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• Just some questions for you all Smile

I am going to be purchasing a system from Dell and installing WHS...
    1 - Just wonderind if anyone of you are running WHS on the Vostro line from Dell and how that is performing for you?
    2 - Do any of you have WHS on any of DELL's Poweredge (non RAID config ) line? how is that performing?
    3 - If I have only ONE hard drive in the system, will this protect me from the WHS bug? I really need to be able to open and save files off the server, and I like the feature set of WHS and the low price tag, so will I be safe?

(I will be using WHS to replace the current workgroup style setup we have in the office. I am looking forward to using the Backup features on WHS plus keeping all of our working files on the server is plus (as apposed to saving them cross-system)
    Monday, June 16, 2008 9:59 PM

Answers

• To answer question number 3 - yes, the data corruption bug only effects multiple drive WHS installations, and only under certain circumstances. The fix is included in PP1 now anyway.

Just remember that if you only use a single drive in your WHS then that is your single point of failure. If you really want to protect your data then you will need at least two drives so that you can enable folder duplication.

Andrew

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 6:31 AM

All replies

• To answer question number 3 - yes, the data corruption bug only effects multiple drive WHS installations, and only under certain circumstances. The fix is included in PP1 now anyway.

Just remember that if you only use a single drive in your WHS then that is your single point of failure. If you really want to protect your data then you will need at least two drives so that you can enable folder duplication.

Andrew

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 6:31 AM
  • I am curious to know what a restore would be like given Dell's partitioning on its laptops. Would the boot sector get restored correctly?

My XPS M1330 has a small EISA partition, Vista home pro, recovery partition and the Media Direct partition. WHS only backs up the Home Pro and recovery partitions. I wish I could get rid of the Media Direct partition but this can cause problems if one presses the media direct key by mistake.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 5:02 PM
  • Not sure here, if you are referring to Dell as a Client, or Dell as a server. If you mean as a Client, then they get restored with no problem. If you mean as a server, then installing WHS will delete all partitions, including hidden ones, when you install it.

Colin

ps: what's the 'no remote control'? WHS allows remote control of clients that either already have the appropriate OS, or use any third party solution.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 2:58 PM
  •  

Hi Colin

I was refering to a Dell XPS laptop as a client, as WHS can only backup two of the four Dell factory installed partitions.

As for the temporary sig. My PC's are all on XP Pro but the new Dell laptop is on Home Premium. RDP is not enabled on Home Premium so I cannot remote control it via Windows Home Server.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 3:39 PM
  • 2. I had my WHS running on a Poweredge SC420 and it ran just fine for a year and a half.  The problem I ran into was the small number of SATA ports (2x). I installed a RAID card but didn't not build an array, just connected them as regular drives.  This worked fine until my boot drive failed, when trying to reinstall I couldn't get WHS to pick up the driver for the RAID card so it wouldn't pick up the drives during the install. I had to connect them later and recover the data manually whice is a huge PITA.

So to answer your question, if you're only using one or two SATA drives and one or two PATA drives you will be fine with no problems
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:52 AM
  • 2 - using a Dell 840 I picked up on their refurb site, works great.  Cheapest box with 4 HDDs and good support.

Best of Luck

Friday, June 20, 2008 1:03 AM