none
Random incorrect [UK]price quotes when using Gaier MS Quotes

Question

• Up until a few days ago this software worked perfectly well, then when downloading share price quotes one or two of the quotes had the decimal place moved 2 places to the right e.g. £65.00 became £6500. Each day either one or two share price quotes is affected although it is not the same share each day.  I don't think the software is at fault but something is happening to the data that is downloaded.  So far I have been repeating the download process and sometimes the problem gets corrected automatically and then later in the day the problem returns.  I have upgraded to the latest MS Quotes version and this has not solved the problem.  Other types of downloads to MS-money such as bank statements work perfectly well.  I have also tried using the alternative route of downloading prices from FT.com and the same problem persists.  I am using MS-money plus deluxe sunset version.
    Thursday, November 30, 2017 12:39 PM

Answers

• MSMoneyQuotes version 2.3 has been released. 

Existing customers can download it here: https://gaiersoftware.com/Money/CustomerDownload

Again, to leverage the workaround you'll need to use the -m SymbolMap.csv feature.

To use, you’ll need to manually modify the SymbolMap.csv file.  Basically for any security that MSN Money is reporting the incorrect currency, you’ll want to “override” the currency via the SymbolMap.csv file. For example, if MSN Money is returning the currency for RDSB as GBP (which is incorrect), you’ll want to tell my program to actually interpret the prices as GBX.  You an do this via the extra column in the SymbolMap.csv file (add “,GBX”).
    RDSB,151.1.RDSB.LON,GBX

By putting the GBX next to a symbol in the SymbolMap.csv file you’re essentially saying “ignore what MSN Money says the currency is, always interpret the prices coming from MSN Money as GBX for this symbol”.

Note that I also added in a new -t option:

This option must be used along with the above -i option.  If -t is specified, then MSMoneyQuotes will import an additional timestamp column from the csv file and use it for the time of last sale.      The csv file should contain an additional column that list dates in the following format: year-month-day.  For example, January 16th, 2018 should be formatted like: 2018-01-16.

See my website for details: https://gaiersoftware.com/Money/DetailsAndHelp

If you have questions specific to the above, please post here.  I'm getting too many emails to answer everyone individually.

Dan

Saturday, January 27, 2018 2:18 PM

All replies

• Strange. I use a similar setup and do not have any issues. Can you provide example share / fund symbol? 
    Thursday, December 07, 2017 11:38 AM
  • Hi, the two most prevalent shares are Vodafone (ticker VOD and Reckitt Benckiser ticker RB.). What is strange is the problem is inconsistent i.e. you can download once during the day and it's OK and then later on download again and the problem returns. It's not just the price that has the decimal point moved but also the 52 week high and Low.  Today I have downloaded just once and all seems fine.
    Thursday, December 07, 2017 11:50 AM
  • I run a Test file so will try these for couple of days and see what happens.

Also, maybe, worth reying -m option in:

http://gaiersoftware.com/Money/DetailsAndHelp

and using Symbolmap.csv file? I use this to find "alternative / not found symbols" for Funds.

Thursday, December 07, 2017 12:18 PM
  • I'm holding back on using the -m option at present and have created a dummy Money account with just shares in (about 38 in total) 1 share for each Company and using the same Gaier file to download and see what happens, at present all seems well.  I was wondering if the original Money file is getting too large 31,972 KB ?
    Thursday, December 07, 2017 2:53 PM
  • I don't think that is an issue. Mine is about 24,995k.
    Thursday, December 07, 2017 3:32 PM
  • I have been using the test account since the 7th Dec and initially all seemed to go well however the same is happening to this account and again it is affecting price quotes on a random basis.  Each day a different share either one or two shares then during the same day the situation is corrected with another download.  From a logic point of view it appears that the process recognizes the ticker symbol but randomly is unable to determine where the decimal place is positioned.  The -v option does not show any problems with security not found or any other errors.
    Friday, December 15, 2017 12:11 PM
  • I have been using the test account since the 7th Dec and initially all seemed to go well however the same is happening to this account and again it is affecting price quotes on a random basis.  Each day a different share either one or two shares then during the same day the situation is corrected with another download.  From a logic point of view it appears that the process recognizes the ticker symbol but randomly is unable to determine where the decimal place is positioned.  The -v option does not show any problems with security not found or any other errors.

Bizarre! I had a similar experience just now on one security which has reported ok for over a year. It put the decimal in the wrong place but 20 minutes later the update was correct!

Monday, December 18, 2017 12:29 PM
  • I have emailed Dan at Gaier and described the problem and his reply:-

" The only thing I can think of is Money (and my program) rely on the currency code to determine if the quote data is coming in pence or pounds. GBP= Pounds  GBX=Pence   In the GBX case, Money applies a conversion rate (i.e. dived by 100) to convert the quote values from pence to pounds. When doing the FT csv download, is the Currency indicator correct?  Does is change from GBP to GBX on different downloads, and thus cause the decimal place to shift by 100?"

I replied indicating that except for 2 funds every other security was GBX, I would monitor the situation and report back to him. What is strange is that it only affects 1 or 2 shares and is random in so much as it is not always the same share.  I'm grasping at straws now 1)is the download capable of handling significant numbers of shares. 2)is there a limit to the storage of the share price data and thus causing some instability.  Using the FT.csv download the data contained within appears to be OK

I will continue to post if the situation changes

Monday, December 18, 2017 1:48 PM
  • I believe quote servers sometimes have wrong numbers.  I think those are being read by MSMoneyQuotes. I have seen transient bad quotes from many quote servers. The error might be to report $0.00 even. It would be nice if there was some way to do a sanity check by looking for changes from the expected, or last quote, that are different by some factor, and maybe pop up a use/ignore box for the quote.
    Monday, December 18, 2017 6:47 PM
  • I believe quote servers sometimes have wrong numbers.  I think those are being read by MSMoneyQuotes. I have seen transient bad quotes from many quote servers. The error might be to report $0.00 even. It would be nice if there was some way to do a sanity check by looking for changes from the expected, or last quote, that are different by some factor, and maybe pop up a use/ignore box for the quote.

Carl

I agree. I never suspected the MSMQ software. I always do a sanity check but a decimal point error in the right direction always makes me happy for a few minutes - seeing your investments doing so well :)

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 8:18 AM
  • I agree. I never suspected the MSMQ software. I always do a sanity check but a decimal point error in the right direction always makes me happy for a few minutes - seeing your investments doing so well :)

It may be that the quote server transient problems occur at particular times of day. MSMQ has the advantage that a later quote will override a later one (unlike OFX).

Suppose you have the windows scheduler trigger MSMQ to get a wrap-up closing price at maybe 10 PM. Mutual funds have all been priced. The servers are not going to be going through updates. Specify the file, with -f,  to update, in case you have a different Money file open at the time.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 9:48 PM
  • I have received a modified MSMQ from Gaier which additionally identifies more information in the download and it is quite clear that something has or is happening to the data that's coming down the wire.  Some price quotes are notated as GBP instead of GBX hence the movement of the decimal point 2 to the right.  I have run the amended quote file 3 times within a matter of 15 minutes and each time a different share price has been affected sometimes 1 share price and another time 3 share prices. 

Thursday, December 21, 2017 5:59 PM
  • I have received a modified MSMQ from Gaier which additionally identifies more information in the download and it is quite clear that something has or is happening to the data that's coming down the wire.  Some price quotes are notated as GBP instead of GBX hence the movement of the decimal point 2 to the right.  I have run the amended quote file 3 times within a matter of 15 minutes and each time a different share price has been affected sometimes 1 share price and another time 3 share prices. 

Nice. I have not heard of GBX. Maybe you could set the exchange rate of GBX and GBP to be equal, in Money? I don't know if MSMQ downloads exchange rates, and would override. You could experiment.

To experiment, I would use a copy of the *.mny file with a different name.

Thursday, December 21, 2017 6:09 PM
  • This was Dan's reply for the GBX and GBP

"The only thing I can think of is Money (and my program) rely on the currency code to determine if the quote data is coming in pence or pounds. GBP= Pounds  GBX=Pence   In the GBX case, Money applies a conversion rate (i.e. dived by 100) to convert the quote values from pence to pounds. When doing the FT csv download, is the Currency indicator correct?  Does is change from GBP to GBX on different downloads, and thus cause the decimal place to shift by 100?"

And I am using a test Money file to see the effects, so it appears randomly the quotes are wrongly interpreted as GBP when they should be GBX however we don't know what causes this anomaly.

Thursday, December 21, 2017 6:35 PM
  • I have received a modified MSMQ from Gaier which additionally identifies more information in the download and it is quite clear that something has or is happening to the data that's coming down the wire. 

Did this modified file make any other difference? As you know, I am in a similar boat in UK.
    Friday, December 22, 2017 10:27 AM
  • No difference other than to identify at the time of download which quote was spurious
    Friday, December 22, 2017 11:02 AM
  • More people have emailed me to inquire about this issue.  The problem is due to "bad data" coming from MSN Money's quote feed.   

As part of the quote data returned by MSN Money, it indicates the "currency" of the quote data.  Generally speaking, this is a currency code: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_4217#X_currencies

However, quotes for UK securities can either be in pence our pounds.  In this case, the returned currency is either GBP for pounds or GBX for pence.

GBX is not a "real" currency.  MS Money does not have a GBX currency, only GBP.  So when Money receives quote data in GBX it must convert it to GBP. 

Money does this by dividing the received quote data by 100 and then manually overriding the "GBX" currency to "GBP" and then saves the converted data.

The problem is, MSN Money has recently be incorrectly reporting the currency.  It has been incorrectly returning GBP even the returned quote data is in pence.  It should be returning GBX in this case so Money properly converts to GBP.  But because MSN Money is returning GBP, no conversion is happening and the quote values are 100X what they should be. 

You can see this problem here (as of today, at least): http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/stockdetails/fi-151.1.RDSB.LON?symbol=RDSB&form=PRFIHQ

MSN Money is quoting the value as 2500 with "Currency In GBP".  This is incorrect, the quote value is in GBX.

To make matters worse, the problem seems to be inconsistent.  Some days its correct while other days its not.

Unfortunately there's little I can do to fix this problem.  My program relies on the data being returned by the quote feed.  It would be impossible for me to know if it's returning the correct currency and/or quote values.  I recommend users of my program submit the problem for MSN Money to fix.  It's obviously an issue that started happening on their side recently....probably due to a change/bug on in their code and/or their Morningstar quote feed.

Dan

Wednesday, January 03, 2018 12:54 AM
  • Dan,

Is the problem only for pence vs pound? Reason I ask is that I've followed some of the discussion threads for Moneydance which is using AlphaVantage quote source.

Some of the users there have seen similar inconsistency from AlphaVantage on pence vs pound. One user has observed that for a given symbol

* intra-day price could get quoted "incorrectly" in pence

* but at end of day, price will get quoted correctly in pound.

Best,

Wednesday, January 03, 2018 9:22 PM
  • Dan

Being in UK, I have only experienced this issue 3 times since I started using your software last year. The error, normally, happens around UK lunchtime BUT is corrected in the next update. 

Wednesday, January 03, 2018 9:52 PM
  • Hi Dan

I'm another UK user of your excellent app.

I'm afraid this is now a regular problem. LSE stocks are being overvalued by 100x and I'm having to correct them manually.

Looking at the MSN web site and using BAE Systems plc as an example I note that today's closing price is showing as 570.01. That is a GBX price representing GBP5.7001. In the description on the web site it shows: 05 January 2018 17:20 GMT. Delayed by 15 minutes; LSE. Currency In GBP

MS Quotes seems to be picking up the 570.01 (GBX) value but is being misled into using it as GBP.

Is there any way of 'locking' MS Quotes to GBX for these stocks (thus overriding the Currency obtained from MSN)?

Friday, January 05, 2018 6:52 PM
  • Hi

Same here Fund and investment trust prices are OK but shares up by 100 but mine did not start going wrong till mid December and just recently 5 Jan 18 Centrica has joined the club. 

Cheers 

Sunday, January 07, 2018 3:09 PM
  • The problem is also affecting PEY:LSE which is priced in Euros. The values are 100 times too low.
    Monday, January 08, 2018 4:17 AM
  • I might be tempting fate but it looks like the problem has been fixed - no errors at all today.
    Monday, January 08, 2018 4:37 PM
  • I was tempting fate - about 2/3 of my share prices are now wrong
    Monday, January 08, 2018 5:45 PM
  • I also now have this problem, constantly with my UK stock prices using MSMONEYQUOTES.

I would like to follow Dan Gaier's recommendation: 

I recommend users of my program submit the problem for MSN Money to fix.

Can anyone advise how to raise this as a problem with MSN Money?

Tuesday, January 09, 2018 7:00 PM
  • Answer my own question - the MSN Money data comes of course from Morning Star which also has the same data error - you can feedback a technical problem at Morning Star here:

http://socialize.morningstar.com/feedback/feedbackform.asp

BT is one of the problem pages that you could mention in your feedback report:

http://www.morningstar.com/stocks/xlon/bt.a/quote.html

Tuesday, January 09, 2018 7:21 PM
  • Answer my own question - the MSN Money data comes of course from Morning Star which also has the same data error - you can feedback a technical problem at Morning Star here:

To provide feedback to MSN Money instead, try this:

Find your way to the UK quote you are interested in. You can start here if you like:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/etfdetails/fi-151.1.PEY.LON?symbol=PEY&form=PRIDQL

From there, you could specify a different security in the Quote Search box.

If you find fault or want to make a comment, click the gear icon and choose Feedback.

I don't know which would be better for this.

Tuesday, January 09, 2018 7:26 PM

BT is one of the problem pages that you could mention in your feedback report:

http://www.morningstar.com/stocks/xlon/bt.a/quote.html

Just got the following response from Morning star customer support so we may get a fix soon I hope:  (they state that their .co.uk website is correct, whereas in fact it is also in GBP)

On 9 Jan 2018, at 19:47, Morningstar Retail Support <joe@morningstar.com> wrote:

Hello Richard,

Thank you for writing to us.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced with your Morningstar services and I'll surely try my best to assist you with it. We appreciate you for bringing this to our notice as it surely seems to be a technical glitch on the US website due to which the prices of the security are not been updated correctly. I did check that for the security BT Group PLC (BT.A), the price updated on the UK website is 273.60 (GBX) and on the US website is 273.40 (GBP) which should have been either in GBX or 2.74 GBP. 

I have requested our developers to correct the pricing details on the US website and will keep you posted as soon as I receive any response from them. For your reference, the case ID will be xxxxx.

We appreciate your patience and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused!

If you have any additional questions or comments, please don't hesitate to reply to this email and I will be happy to further assist you.
    Best regards,

Tuesday, January 09, 2018 8:11 PM
  • Well Done Richard,

In the meanwhile I have been using Dan's alternative data source which is to download data from the FT website, however I think you have to create your own portfolio.

When I created mine I added 1 share for each company that I wanted the info for, then downloaded and uploaded to MSMoney file; however because of the recent problems I have created a second money file just mirroring these shares (1 each), then upload the FT data see if there are any problems and if none then upload to the real file.  Of course this is only a temporary fix until the real problem is solved.

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 6:29 PM
  • Thank you for submitting the problem to Microsoft/Morningstar.  Hopefully if Morningstar fixes the problem it will also address their feed into Microsoft/MSN's products, and thus also be corrected for MSMoneyQuotes.exe.

This is the only way for this issue to be fixed.

Thursday, January 11, 2018 1:08 AM
  • Update from Morning Star - (I have not noticed an issue today so fingers crossed)

On 10 Jan 2018, at 22:21, Morningstar Retail Support <joe@morningstar.com> wrote:

Hello Richard,

Greetings of the day.

Thank you for providing me some time to investigate on the issue. As per the information received from our developers, they have acknowledged that the incorrect pricing of the security: BT Group PLC (BT.A) on the legacy website (morningstar.com) is a technical issue and they will be working on it to get it fixed. I will surely keep you posted of any further response that I receive from our developers.

In the interim, I would request you to please refer to the beta website (beta.morningstar.com) which has correct details updated.   

We appreciate your patience and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused!

If you have any additional questions or comments, please don't hesitate to reply to this email and I will be happy to further assist you.
    Best regards,

Thursday, January 11, 2018 8:30 AM
  • certainly not fixed yet ... 3i Group, City of London Investment Trust, Henderson Far East Income Trust, John Laing Infrastructure Trust, TR Property Investment Trust, Witan Investment Trust, ITV, Pennon, Royal Dutch Shell, Royal Mail, Seven Trent, United Utilities, Vodafone .... all showing incorrect for me.
    Thursday, January 11, 2018 6:28 PM
  • Me too, I have more than a dozen wrongly quoted. Yet again a multi millionaire!  If only it were true :)

Thursday, January 11, 2018 6:35 PM
  • Carried out 2 updates this morning at 0900 and 1125 UK time.  All showed correct prices.  Fingers crossed that this is now fixed. 
    Friday, January 12, 2018 11:28 AM
  • But update after market closed contained numerous "wrong decimal place" entries.  Frustraing and time consuming to correct.

Friday, January 12, 2018 5:16 PM
  • Yep, about a dozen wrong out of 45 quotes for me.
    Friday, January 12, 2018 5:53 PM
  • I also note the MorningStar Beta site is wrong as well - http://beta.morningstar.com/stocks/xlon/bt.a/quote.html - shows as 274.83 GBP - I wish!
    Friday, January 12, 2018 5:59 PM
  • Certainly not fixed for me - I stupidly ran my update quotes program today (saturday) and its showing 29 stocks with the wrong decimal place, which is coming up for all of my positions!it seems closing prices are particularly badly affected, often I've noticed that a stock that updates correctly during the day will be wrong after the market closes.

I also hope that the devs at Morningstar haven't just fixed the BT price and assumed that was all they needed to do...

Saturday, January 13, 2018 2:57 PM
  • As far as I could see they haven't even fixed the BT price...
    Saturday, January 13, 2018 3:47 PM
  • I agree, problem is not fixed. I have gone back again to Morning Star.

It might not do any good but everyone could also raise this as an issue with them:

Saturday, January 13, 2018 7:11 PM
  • So pleased I found this forum - this has been doing my head in.

I'll join in reporting it to Morningstar.

Monday, January 15, 2018 1:57 PM
  • Glad I found this forum. Have been seeing this problem for a while now but it seems to be getting worse.

Initially only a few shares were quoted in GPX and these were apparently random.

I updated prices this morning and everything was OK but when I updated prices after close they were all wrong.

Have we had any feedback from Morningstar? Is this likely to be fixed?
    Monday, January 15, 2018 6:12 PM
  • Generally I like to avoid putting hacks/workarounds into MSMoneyQuotes.exe to address quote feed problems.  These kind of things are time-consuming to develop, very tricky to get right, and I don't want to set the precedent that every time a quote feed issues comes up that I'm going to look for a workaround.  It would be a full time job to address every data issue that pops up on MSN Money/Morningstar!

With that said, this problem has gotten out of control and I'm concerned it may not get fixed  (or may get fixed how but show up in the future again...)

After lots of consideration, I've decided to implement a workaround to the problem. 

I have updated MSMoneyQuotes.exe to version 2.3 and I'm ready for testing before officially releasing it.

The updated version allows you to “override the currency”, essentially enabling MSMoneyQuotes.exe to ignore the currency returned by the MSN Money quote feed.

This feature builds on the existing  -m SymbolMap.csv option.  The program now allows a third column in the SymbolMap.csv file.  This column allows you to set the currency.

For example:
    Existing mapping (MSMoneyQuotes.exe v2.2)
    RDSB,151.1.RDSB.LON

Updated mapping that also overrides the currency using the third column (MSMoneyQuotes.exe v2.3)
    RDSB,151.1.RDSB.LON,GBX

As a result of this, when using the -m option MSMoneyQuotes.exe will use this currency instead of the one provided by the MSN Money quote feed.

You can see the currency override in the -v output:

Resolving Symbols:
    $INDU -> 30.10.!DJI.30.$INDU -- Resolved using SymbolMap.csv
    $COMPX -> 29.10.@CCO.29.COMP -- Resolved using SymbolMap.csv
    $INX -> 33.10.!SPX.33.SPX -- Resolved using SymbolMap.csv
    MSFT -> 126.1.MSFT.NAS -- Resolved using SymbolMap.csv
    BATS -> 151.1.BATS.LON -- Resolved using SymbolMap.csv
    RDSB -> 151.1.RDSB.LON (GBX) -- Resolved using SymbolMap.csv

Fetching Quotes:
    $INDU -> OK     25942.170000    USD     16-01-2018
    $COMPX -> OK    7296.000000     USD     16-01-2018
    $INX -> OK      2798.380000     USD     16-01-2018
    MSFT -> OK      89.750000       USD     16-01-2018
    BATS -> OK      5016.000000     GBX     16-01-2018
    RDSB -> OK      2593.535000     GBX     16-01-2018       -- Currency Override

Again, once testing is complete and assuming all goes well, I'll release this for everyone to use. 

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 4:28 PM
  • Nice.

I had been thinking in terms of a sanity test where if the change was more than some amount, the user could disregard. Where the currency indication but not the number, is misbehaving, this is superior.

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 5:13 PM
  • Morning star are keep saying they are working on a solution. Suggest you add your own complaint to them.

One observation is that the problem seems to be more prevalent when the UK market is closed, not 100%, and not every stock, but price updates during open hours do seem to be generally OK.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 5:41 PM
  • Yes I agree, mostly OK when market is open, perhaps one or two errors occasionally. A disaster when market is closed. I just had to manually amend 25 stock prices out of 72
    Wednesday, January 17, 2018 6:17 PM
  • Yes I agree, mostly OK when market is open, perhaps one or two errors occasionally. A disaster when market is closed. I just had to manually amend 25 stock prices out of 72

Maybe a temporary solution until the fix is in place? How about not using the MS Quotes after the market closes?

Friday, January 19, 2018 8:45 PM

• With that said, this problem has gotten out of control and I'm concerned it may not get fixed  (or may get fixed how but show up in the future again...)

Your workaround looks like a good idea, however won't work for me as I run MSmoney & your exec on an iMac under a Parallels VM and have been unable to work out how to run your exec with a variable.

Anyway I am still working the problem in the background to see if there are other ways of getting some pressure on Morningstar to treat this as real problem, as some stock prices are still showing as GBP and not GBX this morning. To that end I have contacted the FCA (Financial Conduct Authority) here in the UK who regulate Morningstar - their response was relatively positive  " I have made this available to my colleagues that supervise Morningstar. We will use the information to help us build a picture of how the firm is running its business and whether it is meeting our standards. I will not be able to let you know what we do with this information, including our opinion as that forms part of our supervisory work which is confidential."

In addition I have also raised this as a concern with the London Stock Exchange, whose data these prices are, to see if they have any influence. 

Who knows if it will do any good, but worth trying.

• Edited by raven570 Saturday, January 20, 2018 12:22 PM
    Saturday, January 20, 2018 11:30 AM
  • Do you mean the -v, -m, -c etc variables, if so create a shortcut like this:-

C:\Users\yourname\Documents\MSMoneyQuotes.exe -r -v -a -c -m and run in connection with Symbolmap.csv and see if it works

Saturday, January 20, 2018 11:44 AM

• With that said, this problem has gotten out of control and I'm concerned it may not get fixed  (or may get fixed how but show up in the future again...)

Your workaround looks like a good idea, however won't work for me as I run MSmoney & your exec on an iMac under a Parallels VM and have been unable to work out how to run your exec with a variable.

One other way is to put the command, with software switches/controls, into a batch file. Then run the batch file rather than running the exe file.
    Saturday, January 20, 2018 5:32 PM
  • Batch file, of course!. Thank you, so obvious when you see it. (my only defence is I have not used windows for over 5 years!). I have successfully implemented and now have seamless pricing updates (no password typing) and for the first time since 1998 automatic updating of currencies.

Champion, thanks again

(now just need Morningstar to fix their GBP/GBX issue)

Sunday, January 21, 2018 11:47 AM
  • http://socialize.morningstar.com/feedback/feedbackform.asp

Used this method to report 

Woodford Patient Capital Trust 

WPCT 

comes up as £84.40 (I wish) rather than 84.40p

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 8:07 PM
  • How is the testing going? Really looking forward to this workaround going live!
    Friday, January 26, 2018 5:15 PM
  • How is the testing going? Really looking forward to this workaround going live!

Please contact support via the email address on http://gaiersoftware.com/Money/DetailsAndHelp using your registered email address or provide your id info.

I supect you will get what you are looking for.

Friday, January 26, 2018 7:28 PM
  • MSMoneyQuotes version 2.3 has been released. 

Existing customers can download it here: https://gaiersoftware.com/Money/CustomerDownload

Again, to leverage the workaround you'll need to use the -m SymbolMap.csv feature.

To use, you’ll need to manually modify the SymbolMap.csv file.  Basically for any security that MSN Money is reporting the incorrect currency, you’ll want to “override” the currency via the SymbolMap.csv file. For example, if MSN Money is returning the currency for RDSB as GBP (which is incorrect), you’ll want to tell my program to actually interpret the prices as GBX.  You an do this via the extra column in the SymbolMap.csv file (add “,GBX”).
    RDSB,151.1.RDSB.LON,GBX

By putting the GBX next to a symbol in the SymbolMap.csv file you’re essentially saying “ignore what MSN Money says the currency is, always interpret the prices coming from MSN Money as GBX for this symbol”.

Note that I also added in a new -t option:

This option must be used along with the above -i option.  If -t is specified, then MSMoneyQuotes will import an additional timestamp column from the csv file and use it for the time of last sale.      The csv file should contain an additional column that list dates in the following format: year-month-day.  For example, January 16th, 2018 should be formatted like: 2018-01-16.

See my website for details: https://gaiersoftware.com/Money/DetailsAndHelp

If you have questions specific to the above, please post here.  I'm getting too many emails to answer everyone individually.

Dan

Saturday, January 27, 2018 2:18 PM
  • Thanks Dan, that did the trick. Much appreciated.
    Saturday, January 27, 2018 2:40 PM
  • Dan. You are a genius. All prices loading like they used to. Thanks for all your help.
    Saturday, January 27, 2018 9:04 PM
  • Many thanks Dan. I no longer need to tear my remaining few hair out now :)
    Monday, January 29, 2018 9:02 AM
  • Thanks Dan thats all resolved for me at a stroke! Well done and thanks!
    Monday, January 29, 2018 10:20 PM
  • Thanks Dan, I have upgraded to 2.3, all is now fine. Much appreciated

So I will give up trying to get Morningstar to understand their problem, no wonder MSN Money website has disclaimer about Morningstar data "(3) is not warranted to be accurate, complete or timely."  how true

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 8:53 AM
  • Many thanks Dan. Brilliant works first time as always! However I think I preferred some of the price quotes before the fix!!
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 2:48 PM
  • Dan, thanks for this. Once again I feel the value of your work is seriously underestimated. It is absolutely exceptional.
    Wednesday, January 31, 2018 4:43 PM
  • Dan, thanks for this. Once again I feel the value of your work is seriously underestimated. It is absolutely exceptional.

Best thing since "Sliced bread"?

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 6:08 PM
  • Thanks everyone for the positive feedback.  I'm glad it's working for everyone who has tried it.  The positive feedback here helps me feel the many additional hours I put into this are worthwhile.  I sometimes question it due to the volume of hate mail I get...you'd be surprised.  To give you an idea, here's a snippet of one I received today:

"Hello very disappointed you haven't not come back to me with your dreadful software problems it must be nearly a month now.
    I DO NOT ACCEPT it's a Money problem as it happens to other people and it's getting worse.
    Some days it updates correctly but mostly it updates ignoring the decimal point for example Barclays would update at £20 odd instead of £2 odd and some days I would be better off updating them all manually and not using your software.
    Do please sort it out."

Anyway, I'm glad version 2.3 is released and the workaround is helping people work through this MSN Money/Morningstar data feed problem.

Thursday, February 01, 2018 1:07 PM
  • Unfortunately, some people are just ignorant !
    Thursday, February 01, 2018 1:34 PM
  • Dan, please ignore these ignorant and impolite people. Your efforts are very much appreciated.
    Friday, February 02, 2018 3:30 PM
  • It works great for me. Many thanks Dan
    Monday, February 19, 2018 5:48 PM
  • I have tried the fix for a few days now but still have problems with SMT and VOF (UK securities) still do not work. H ve tried the GBX (with and without) but still no luck. Others with GBX work.

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 5:55 PM
  • Dan,

Your programme is terrific - thank you for all the time you have spent on it.

My UK stock prices are usually correct during opening hours but are way out after closing.

I have downloaded version 2.3 and am using the following options:  -p -o -m -i -t

I have found the symbolmap.csv file and have added   ,GBX after every stock.  However, the prices are still out by 100 times.

You mention on your website:  You an do this via the extra column in the SymbolMap.csv file (add “,GBX”).
    RDSB,151.1.RDSB.LON,GBX

I thought I should ask whether you mean add ,GBX in an extra Excel column?  In my symbolMap.csv column A has the share name RSDB  column B has (before adding ,GBX)

151.1.RDSB.LON

If I add ,GBX in column C nothing happens.  If I add ,GBX to the end of 151.1.RDSB.LON in column B the prices are still out by 100 times.

Prior to adding ,GBX  there was no other data in any other column - only columns A and B have data in them

Finally, your website states:

-i option:
    If -i is specified, then MSMoneyQuotes will import quotes from the provided csv file instead of getting online quotes.

When you say provided csv file are you referring to the symbolMap.csv file or one created to use FT.com data?

I am sure it is me who is doing something wrong so if you or someone else could point me in the right directions I would be grateful.

• Edited by Marc Capim Wednesday, May 02, 2018 6:17 PM
    Wednesday, May 02, 2018 5:55 PM
  • Dan,

Your programme is terrific - thank you for all the time you have spent on it.

My UK stock prices are usually correct during opening hours but are way out after closing.

I have downloaded version 2.3 and am using the following options:  -p -o -m -i -t

I have found the symbolmap.csv file and have added   ,GBX after every stock.  However, the prices are still out by 100 times.

You mention on your website:  You an do this via the extra column in the SymbolMap.csv file (add “,GBX”).
    RDSB,151.1.RDSB.LON,GBX

I thought I should ask whether you mean add ,GBX in an extra Excel column?  In my symbolMap.csv column A has the share name RSDB  column B has (before adding ,GBX)

151.1.RDSB.LON

If I add ,GBX in column C nothing happens.  If I add ,GBX to the end of 151.1.RDSB.LON in column B the prices are still out by 100 times.

Prior to adding ,GBX  there was no other data in any other column - only columns A and B have data in them

Finally, your website states:

-i option:

If -i is specified, then MSMoneyQuotes will import quotes from the provided csv file instead of getting online quotes.

When you say provided csv file are you referring to the symbolMap.csv file or one created to use FT.com data?

I am sure it is me who is doing something wrong so if you or someone else could point me in the right directions I would be grateful.

The extra GBX column is in SymbolMap.csv.

I think the SymbolMap.csv is used for quotes from MSN Money. So I suggest that you get rid of the -i in your invocation.

I am not sure about the -t switch. I am thinking you would get rid of that too, unless you learn more about it.

Wednesday, May 02, 2018 9:21 PM
  • I have mentioned this in my post above yours:

"I have tried the fix for a few days now but still have problems with SMT and VOF (UK securities) still do not work. Have tried the GBX (with and without) but still no luck. Others with GBX work."

I still have this issue. Does not happen with other securities though. 

Thursday, May 03, 2018 7:00 AM
  • Thanks.  I have removed the -i and -t but the prices are still way out.

I deleted the old symbolMap.csv and ran MSquotes.  A new symbolMap.csv was produced which was exactly like the old one.

I regret I am no further forward but would love to hear from others who are successfully getting correct prices.

Thursday, May 03, 2018 7:07 AM
  • Does anyone have an idiots guide to setting this up? I have used MSQoutes for several years and it has worked perfectly for my small number of stocks, but recently I have started getting random incorrect prices (magnitude of 100) for certain UK stocks. I also have one stock which has switched to the NEX exchange; Churchill Mining CHL:NEX for which no price gets picked up. I would like to try some of the suggestions here but don’t understand how to do all the various “-p, -I , -xxx” options and how to set them up?
    Thursday, May 03, 2018 7:22 AM
  • Does anyone have an idiots guide to setting this up? I have used MSQoutes for several years and it has worked perfectly for my small number of stocks, but recently I have started getting random incorrect prices (magnitude of 100) for certain UK stocks. I also have one stock which has switched to the NEX exchange; Churchill Mining CHL:NEX for which no price gets picked up. I would like to try some of the suggestions here but don’t understand how to do all the various “-p, -I , -xxx” options and how to set them up?

If you cannot get a quote from http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/ then it is not going to work in the automated way.

If at some time that starts working, you could resume getting the Churchill mining quotes. Your other securities are working well, so you are doing the right stuff for the MSN Money quote downloads.

If you would be interested in producing a CSV file from https://markets.ft.com/data/equities/tearsheet/summary?s=CHL:ISD you could. I don't know offhand what that process is.  However I am confident that is going to be more work each time than just entering the CHL price into Money by hand.

Thursday, May 03, 2018 5:03 PM
  • Indeed!  See:

https://xkcd.com/1319/

Bill Becker

Thursday, May 03, 2018 7:37 PM
  • The UK stockmarket has closed.

I have followed Dan's advice on his webpages.  I have modified the symbolMap.csv file to include the ,GBX suffix and I have added the -i option in the shortcut with it pointing to the location of the symbolMap.csv file.

I am not permitted to attach a screenshot of my symbolMap.csv file but this is the format in Exel column B (C is blank):

151.1.BT/A.LON.BT.A,GBX
    151.1.TSCO.LON,GBX
    151.1.RDSB.LON,GBX
    151.1.RIO.LON,GBX
    151.1.ULVR.LON,GBX
    151.1.PRU.LON,GBX
    151.1.BARC.LON,GBX
    151.1.ATR.LON,GBX

Does yours have the share price included? 

ALL my shares prices are 100% more than they should be.

What am I doing wrong?

Friday, May 04, 2018 5:43 PM
  • I am not permitted to attach a screenshot of my symbolMap.csv file but this is the format in Exel column B (C is blank):

151.1.BT/A.LON.BT.A,GBX
    151.1.TSCO.LON,GBX
    151.1.RDSB.LON,GBX
    151.1.RIO.LON,GBX
    151.1.ULVR.LON,GBX
    151.1.PRU.LON,GBX
    151.1.BARC.LON,GBX
    151.1.ATR.LON,GBX

Does yours have the share price included? 

ALL my shares prices are 100% more than they should be.

What am I doing wrong?

If working in Excel, get rid of all of the ",GBX" in column B. Add "GBX" to each entry in Column C. Do not enter a comma into column C (or B or A for that matter); Excel will put the commas between the column A, B, and C when it saves the file as a CSV. If you want to see the commas, open the CSV file with Notepad.

If you do that, expect to see this in Notepad:

BT/A,151.1.BT/A.LON.BT.A,GBX
    TSCO,151.1.TSCO.LON,GBX
    RDSB,151.1.RDSB.LON,GBX
    RIO,151.1.RIO.LON,GBX
    ULVR,151.1.ULVR.LON,GBX
    PRU,151.1.PRU.LON,GBX
    BARC,151.1.BARC.LON,GBX
    ATR,151.1.ATR.LON,GBX

Actually, I am not sure about the BT symbol. Maybe you have something else instead of a slash/stroke.

To view the file with its commas, another alternative is to do the following in a command window:

type symbolMap.csv

Friday, May 04, 2018 5:55 PM
  • Cal,

Thank you - slowly getting there......

I used Excel and removed the ,GBX from the B column and added GBX to the C column and, using Notepad, the format is now correct.

It would be a help if anyone who is successfully importing UK stock prices could advise if they are seeing prices in the symbolmap.csv file and whether they are using the -i option.

Update - now getting the "failed to import quotes" message - sigh.........
    • Edited by Marc Capim Friday, May 04, 2018 6:55 PM
    Friday, May 04, 2018 6:52 PM
  • I am not in the UK, but I have some suggestions for you to consider.

To use symbolMap.csv you need the -m

You can optionally use -v to get some extra info.

Do not use -i

I suggest that you put your  commands a batch file. That way, once you get it working, you don't have to type the whole thing each time. If you use -v in a batch file, also use -b.  Maybe name the batch file mq.bat

Use notepad or similar simple editor to make and change the batch file. If the batch file is in the current folder, to run the batch file, you can just type mq

If you want to get fancier, you could (note file path is an example)

cd to the folder with the MSMoneyQuotes in it.

MSMoneyQuotes.exe -i -v -f C:\Users\Marc\Documents\mn\Marc.mny

Friday, May 04, 2018 8:18 PM
  • Thanks again Cal.

Having slept on it overnight I started from scratch again creating a new shortcut for the Quotes programme putting my original options in the "Target" field.  I ran Quotes with the old symbolMap.csv file and the prices were correct on Saturday am.

I then used the (new) symbolmap.csv in place of the old one and the prices are still correct.

I will have to wait until Tuesday to check the UK stock prices since Monday is a holiday in the UK.

Saturday, May 05, 2018 9:27 AM
  • Having slept on it overnight I started from scratch again creating a new shortcut for the Quotes programme putting my original options in the "Target" field.  I ran Quotes with the old symbolMap.csv file and the prices were correct on Saturday am.

I like to use a batch file. If you put the following into a batch file, named maybe MQ.bat onto your desktop, you can trigger that as you do your shortcut.

rem modify path below to point to appropriate folder.
    cd C:\apps\MSMoneyQuotes\

MSMoneyQuotes.exe -m -v -b > mq_log.txt
    type mq_log.txt |find  /V "OK"|find /V "Resolved"|find  "->"
    if errorlevel 1 goto done
    echo some symbols not resolved with SymbolMap.csv. mq_log.txt is log
    pause
    :done

The /V in find says to find lines that do *not* have the string. If everything was found and resolved, expect a command window to be created, used, and deleted. The -b with the -m -v is only because this is in a batch file.

If there is a symbol that required looking up beyond the SymbolMap.csv, the translation will be sent to the screen. Then the window will pause until you select the window, and press a key. Then the window will terminate.

mq_log.txt  will contain the verbose screen output captured during the last run.

A batch file is flexible, so you can modify it to change what it does.

Saturday, May 05, 2018 5:28 PM
  • Cal,

It is kind of you to introduce me to batch files.  I don't think I am up to it yet although if I have any troubles next week perhaps I will give it a try.

Saturday, May 05, 2018 5:51 PM
  • Does anyone have an idiots guide to setting this up?............I would like to try some of the suggestions here but don’t understand how to do all the various “-p, -I , -xxx” options and how to set them up?

Dan covers this on his website:

https://gaiersoftware.com/Money/DetailsAndHelp

Scroll down to Setup and you will find this:

Assuming you've created a shortcut to MSMoneyQuotes and put that shortcut on your Desktop, here's how you would add the -p option.

1. Right-click on your Desktop shortcut and select "Properties"
    2. Go to the "Shortcut" tab (you'll probably already be on this tab by default)
    3. Find the "Target" input field. It should be something like C:\MSMoneyQuotes.exe (the path will depend on where you saved my program)
    4. Edit the "Target input field to look something like "C:\MSMoneyQuotes.exe" -p YourMoneyPassword (replace with your actual password. The quotes are necessary if the file path has spaces. There is a space after the last quote, then –p, then a space, then your password.)
    5. Click "OK"
    6. Now when you double-click the shortcut, it will automatically use the Money Password and run without prompting you.

Use the same steps above to add the -f, –o, –a -r or -v options to the shortcut. Just put a space between each option. For example:

"C:\MSMoneyQuotes.exe" -p YourMoneyPassword –o –a

You can create a shortcut by right clicking on the MSMoneyQuotes programme where you will find that option.

Sunday, May 06, 2018 9:08 AM
  • Just to wrap this up as far as my issues are concerned........

I started again creating a new shortcut with the old options in the target field and successfully modified the symbolMap.csv file and all my UK share prices are now correctly displayed.

Cal, thank you very much for explaining how to add ,GBX using Excel in order to update my symbolMap.csv file - I suspect that this sorted out my issue.

• Edited by Marc Capim Wednesday, May 09, 2018 8:40 AM
    Wednesday, May 09, 2018 8:38 AM