Trying to do a restore with Onecare Backup Restore tool RRS feed

• Question

• Eventhough I was running Onecare I got a virus and had to reformat/restall Vista.     I have an external drive that I use to do my backups on using Onecare.    I have tried to do a restore using the replacement tool but it is sayig I do not have enough space on my D drive.    My D drive shows as restore.  My C drive is were my files/documents belong and has plenty of room.       I tried to pick just a few files to restore but get the same result.   It keeps trying to put 1.4 gb of restore file on D and the other parts on my C.    Reading the instructins on the Microsoft website it does not mention anyting about the D (restore) drive so I am not sure how to proceed.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 6:14 PM

Answers

• Before your format/reinstall, D:\ was actually a drive on the PC. OneCare wants to restore to the exact same locations that the backup was from.

You can workaround this by hiding or disconnecting the D: drive, but if it is a partition and not a drive, monkeying with partition properties may not be something you want to do.

You can extract the files from the backup .zip files using WinZip or similar 3rd party compression utility. Any files split by OneCare backup will need to be re-joined using this free utility - 

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

And, you can contact support for assistance with the restore, if needed.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, July 16, 2010 3:09 PM
  • I found a work around.    My computer is an HP and they have the factory on the D drive.   I added a new drive and named it as D thinking it would do the factory image to this empty drive and then I could just remove it.  I renamed the existing D to O and then tried to do the restore.       It caught the fact that I had changed the D to O.   But this time it asked if I wanted to retore the "D" to the O drive or and this is the important part  it gave me the option of not restoring the factory image files at all.       In the past it would not give me that option and would try to restore both the D and C files which it could not do for the lack of memory on D...

Still have no clue why it keeps doing the D but I was able to restore all the C files and the machine is running fine....... 

Monday, July 19, 2010 3:46 PM

All replies

• The D drive is actually my factory Image.  Not sure why/how OneCare is trying to restore to it.   

Thursday, July 15, 2010 11:08 PM
  • Before your format/reinstall, D:\ was actually a drive on the PC. OneCare wants to restore to the exact same locations that the backup was from.

You can workaround this by hiding or disconnecting the D: drive, but if it is a partition and not a drive, monkeying with partition properties may not be something you want to do.

You can extract the files from the backup .zip files using WinZip or similar 3rd party compression utility. Any files split by OneCare backup will need to be re-joined using this free utility - 

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

And, you can contact support for assistance with the restore, if needed.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, July 16, 2010 3:09 PM
  • I found a work around.    My computer is an HP and they have the factory on the D drive.   I added a new drive and named it as D thinking it would do the factory image to this empty drive and then I could just remove it.  I renamed the existing D to O and then tried to do the restore.       It caught the fact that I had changed the D to O.   But this time it asked if I wanted to retore the "D" to the O drive or and this is the important part  it gave me the option of not restoring the factory image files at all.       In the past it would not give me that option and would try to restore both the D and C files which it could not do for the lack of memory on D...

Still have no clue why it keeps doing the D but I was able to restore all the C files and the machine is running fine....... 

Monday, July 19, 2010 3:46 PM
  • Thanks for sharing your experience and glad that you were able to perform the restore.

-steve

Monday, July 19, 2010 6:19 PM