How To / Is it possible to upgrade Windows Home Server on a headless server like HP WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• How To / Is it possible to upgrade Windows Home Server on a headless server like HP WHS?

For instance, If I buy an HP MediaSmart Server with WHS PP3 retail now, can I upgrade to WHS 2010 later this year upon release? This seems like a silly question to me - "of course you can!". That is  what I expect to hear, but *how* would one go about the upgrade? Pre-Configured WHS machines do not have a mouse, keyboard, monitor nor CD/DVD drives. So how exactly do you upgrade an OEM machine?

Second question is: I expect that you could initialize a downloadable upgrade via the software itself using something along the lines of Windows Anytime Upgrade. If this is the case, than great for retail users, but what about technet plus subscribers who want to test a pre-release or RTM of WHS 2010? How can we install an O/S on a preconfigured OEM server like the HP MediaSmart 495lx.

I am really in the market to make a purchase asap but until I can figure out my upgrade options with a WHS/HP Mediasmart, my choice is between a machine that cannot be upgraded or a Linux NAS device.

Thanks for your time and responses,

Jen
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 2:41 AM

Answers

• How To / Is it possible to upgrade Windows Home Server on a headless server like HP WHS?

For instance, If I buy an HP MediaSmart Server with WHS PP3 retail now, can I upgrade to WHS 2010 later this year upon release? This seems like a silly question to me - "of course you can!". That is  what I expect to hear, but *how* would one go about the upgrade? Pre-Configured WHS machines do not have a mouse, keyboard, monitor nor CD/DVD drives. So how exactly do you upgrade an OEM machine?

MS has not made announcements regarding how/if an upgrade would be possible.

Second question is: I expect that you could initialize a downloadable upgrade via the software itself using something along the lines of Windows Anytime Upgrade. If this is the case, than great for retail users, but what about technet plus subscribers who want to test a pre-release or RTM of WHS 2010? How can we install an O/S on a preconfigured OEM server like the HP MediaSmart 495lx.

Considering there is no Anytime Upgrade built into the current OS, I don't see that ever happening. 

I am really in the market to make a purchase asap but until I can figure out my upgrade options with a WHS/HP Mediasmart, my choice is between a machine that cannot be upgraded or a Linux NAS device.

Jen

Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:48 AM
    In theory it would be possible but it would be up to HP and not microsoft as to if you would be able to upgrade or not.  I think HP will be pretty good about it but may take some time to produce an upgrade CD.  For example with the HP MediaSmart software they have promised to create an update DVD to upgrade older EX470/5 models to the newer software found on more recently models.  An upgrade on something like a HP MediaSmart Server would be performed using the server recovery process but using a newer recovery image rather than the original recovery image that shipped with the unit.

A Linux NAS device would probably not be as upgradeable as you imagine - unless you enjoy spending all your time hacking linux onto bespoke hardware.

--
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:38 AM

All replies

MS has not made announcements regarding how/if an upgrade would be possible.

Considering there is no Anytime Upgrade built into the current OS, I don't see that ever happening. 

Jen

Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:48 AM
    In theory it would be possible but it would be up to HP and not microsoft as to if you would be able to upgrade or not.  I think HP will be pretty good about it but may take some time to produce an upgrade CD.  For example with the HP MediaSmart software they have promised to create an update DVD to upgrade older EX470/5 models to the newer software found on more recently models.  An upgrade on something like a HP MediaSmart Server would be performed using the server recovery process but using a newer recovery image rather than the original recovery image that shipped with the unit.

A Linux NAS device would probably not be as upgradeable as you imagine - unless you enjoy spending all your time hacking linux onto bespoke hardware.

--
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:38 AM
  • Windows Home Server 2010: No product announcements have been made by Microsoft (including potential release dates, so it's quite possible there won't be a 2010 release). The only "public knowledge" is a leaked copy of a technology preview. So you may make a large mistake if you base any purchasing decision on the information available to you right now. If I were you I would wait until much closer to the product's release.

Upgrading an HP: I doubt it will be possible to upgrade an HP MediaSmart Server to a future version of Windows Home Server at all. HP is in the business of selling new hardware, and the CTP software that was leaked a few weeks ago has significantly higher hardware requirements than any of the current HP offerings. If it is possible, I expect that it will be done via the purchase of new media from HP.

A question that you haven't asked about but that should interest you much more: How do you migrate your data to a new version? Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you, but I expect that if you have an HP you do it by buying a new server and copying share to share. If you have a home-built server, it would be nice if Microsoft offered a migration tool, but I still think it's likely you'll need to run two servers in parallel, rather than an upgrade in place.

As for your purchasing decision, if you buy inexpensive but modern hardware today you will probably be okay for a future version. The hardware requirements for the leaked code are probably not a bad indicator, though as I observed above they probably aren't final.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Evaders99 Friday, February 12, 2010 10:32 PM
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 12:44 PM