Can I move WHS to a new box with new drives using a non-WHS backup and restore method RRS feed

• Question

• I have had WHS installed on a true server - a Dell PowerEdge 1800 with a RAID 5 SCSI array configured as a single 400 Gb dive. I need to use that box for other things and need to move WHS to a different box that will have an 80 GB drive and a 1TB drive. I am an IT consultant and used some of the tools I have at work to try to backup and restore the server to the new box.

So on the old box I used ShadowProtect to backup the sytem volume and data volume and then restored them onto the 80GB and 1TB drive respectively. That worked beautifully from a basic Windows perspective. Windows booted, loaded all the new drivers, data is present and accessible locally and over the network, all the non WHS services started.

However the WHS console says it is missing a drive and shows both new drives as new unused drivers. I can add them but they will get formatted. I really don't want to reinstll and have to copy all my data off the old box and onto the new one. I use Carbonite backup and it will take a month or more to resync if I do that. the ShadowProtect backup and restore works great in a normal coporate envrionment but they don't have the WHS drive extender stuff to mess with.

I don't mind getting down and dirty and use a backdoor method to get this done. I really really really don't want to rebuild from scratch. Is there any way I can get this done

Saturday, April 2, 2011 3:35 PM

All replies

• I don't mind getting down and dirty and use a backdoor method to get this done. I really really really don't want to rebuild from scratch. Is there any way I can get this done

Hi,
    I know several users have tried this. AFAIK none of them succeeded (and if it is possible at all I would not trust my data to this server).
    (FYI: see this post on the Acronis forum?)

I would strongly advise you to do a server (re-)install. I know this would mean you need to redo any customisation.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Saturday, April 2, 2011 9:02 PM
  • I had a WHS box built on on an Intel motherboard and processor which were about 4-years old.  I recently upgraded to a newer intel motherboard and processoer and for kicks decided to see if the existing boot drive would work on the new motherboard.  The new motherboards was USB only while the old had a PS2 mouse and keyboard.   WHS Loaded just fine and I was abkle to remote console in and update the drivers.  - My guess is that if you switch processor manufacturers it may not work but thats my two cents worth - Good Luck
    WHS_retail version
    Monday, April 4, 2011 3:51 PM