none
Music, Dropped Connection, Alphabetical Order RRS feed

• Question

• I have two main problems with serving music - dropped connection and alphabetical order.
    I have HP Home Server ex470. I have installed Twonky. I do not have Firefly running. The HP Home Server has some vexing problems when serving music. I am not sure what application is serving the music, I hope someone can tell me how to figure it out! I am using a DLink DSM-520 as the client, and it uses wireless network.

My music is arranged by subdirectories as such: <artist name>/<album name>, and song filenames begin with 2-digit track number to ensure that they play in expected order.
    I do not use iTunes, I will never use Apple products.

- I have some artists whose name begins with a number: "10,000 Maniacs" and "4 Strings". The artists and their albums are not found by the media server software on HP Home Server, but the files are there! Needless to say, Windows Meddia Player or TVersity on Win XP do not have this problem. This is the problem I most want to fix.

- If I select an album by choosing from the Album list, the songs are played in correct sequence, since the filenames begin with 2-digit track numbers. Any other pathway, such as choose Artist, then Album, results in alphabetical order by title! My music is also hosted on my Win XP machine, and it can serve using Windows Media Player 11 or TVersity. Only TVersity gets it right. Myabe this is an issue I just have to live with?

- I have just started using the HP to stream music to my DSM-520 and so far 4 albums have failed to play all the way thru - the connection was dropped near the end. This has never been a problem when DSM-520 is served from Win XP machine. I lied, *this* is the problem I most want to fix.

I have tried the forums at wegotserved.com, but no luck there.
    Thanks for bearing with me. I hope someone has some answers.

Glenn in Santa Cruz
    --- Glenn in Santa Cruz
    Monday, June 8, 2009 5:58 AM

Answers

• Woo Hoo! I can close this thread, because I've at least got PVconnect (same as TwonkyVision 4.4.4) working now. I will open another discussion for the dropped connection.

Problem #1 - plays songs in alpha order by title - this is not a problem, it's simply the way Media Connect behaves if you naviagate to an album by the Artist pathway. Use Album and it's in track order (assuming your songs begin with 2-digit track number).

Problem #2 - apparently only Media Connect is sharing my music, even though it appears that PVconnect should also share. Disabling the shares in Settings/Media Sharing does not turn off Media Connect, so I see that server on my DSM-520, but there is no content to play.
    Indeed, I probably only needed to restart TwonkyVision!

I was led to this page: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1394&highlight=
    I then discovered why I couldn't access Twonky at port 9000. I implemented the fix recommended in above link and now I could see the config pages that I had never before seen. I also was finally able to view the Twonky logfiles. The log had repeated complaints about wanting to restart the service. So I went to WHS control panel and restarted the TwonkyVision service.
    There you go! Now my DSM-520 shows TWO instances of HPSERVER, like it used to. The one ismply named HPSERVER is evidently PVconnect - I had not seen this for a long time. The one named HPSERZVER:1:<other stuff> must be Media Connect.

Now I can tackle the other problems.

Thank you, Ken, for your great advice and patience.

--- Glenn in Santa Cruz
    • Marked as answer by Glenn Nelson Friday, June 12, 2009 4:17 AM
    Friday, June 12, 2009 4:16 AM
  • Never mind tackling the remaining problem - TwonkyVision fixed the dropped connections problem.
    So Media Connect evidently behaves badly and drops connections when trying to play music - in 5 attempts I was never able to play a single album all the way thru. With TwonkyVision, I have now played 2 albums (from the same previous tests) all the way thru, so I think this problem is solved.
    --- Glenn in Santa Cruz
    • Marked as answer by Glenn Nelson Friday, June 12, 2009 6:24 AM
    Friday, June 12, 2009 6:24 AM

All replies

• The HP MediaSmart servers have two built-in media streaming tools. There's Firefly, which is specific to iTunes music, and there's also Windows Media Connect 2.0, which is able to stream some media types in a fashion similar to Windows Media Player. (As a matter of fact, a newer version is effectively built in to Windows Media Player these days.)

It sounds to me like you may be streaming from a tool other than twonky. To check this, you could try copying your media content to a different folder, as Windows Home Server will only stream from the three built-in shares Music, Videos, and Photos. Then turn off media sharing for the three built-in shares, and point twonky at the new shares instead. You could also try just turning off Windows Home Server streaming on the built-in shares.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 8, 2009 5:53 PM
  • Thank you Ken, that leads to more confusion, but it did help! I now have the missing non-numeric artists. I have to conclude that somehow Windows Media Connect simply took 2 or 3 days to find these! But read on, perhaps there's more to it than that.

Can you tell me how to disable Win Media Connect? I presume it's a service, but I haven't spotted it in the service list.

Here are my troubleshooting steps based on your advice:

I coped artists with number names, "4 Strings" and "10,000 Maniacs" and a few with non-numeric names "Blondie" to Public shared folder. I then configured PVconnect to NOT look at the shared Music folder, but only to look at Public. The PVconnect status panel showed 83 songs, instead of the previous 1000+.

Here's the first strange thing: my DSM-520 now shows not only the missing artists, but also ALL the other music files, 1000+, that were always there.
    So then I go to Settings/Media Sharing and turn off Music - the way the settings panel reads, this should only turn off sharing from the Music folder, but PVconnect should still serve music from Public; it still shows 83 songs. Back on the DSM-520, there is now NO MUSIC available. Why?

Thus it seems like there are 2 services feeding music from WHS, but I expected to see them as 2 separate server choices in my DSM-520 (it shows 2 separate servers on my Win XP machine - one is Windows Media Player, the other is TVersity). I only see "HPSERVER:1: Windows M..." (can't view the trailing letters).

Finally I removed the music files from Public and tell PVconnect to not serve ANY music, and the numeric artists are still there on DSM-520! So that problem is solved, but I really don't know why.

I am now testing to see if it can play an album all the way thru without dropping connection.

--- Glenn in Santa Cruz
    Monday, June 8, 2009 11:09 PM
  • Regarding the DLink digital media receiver, it sounds like it's not seeing the PVConnect songs at all. As for PVConnect, it frankly doesn't perform well on the HP servers if you haven't upgraded the memory, so the issues you describe could well be related to just extremely slow indexing.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 2:50 AM
  • I already have upgraded to 2GB and changed the page file size. Also upgraded the CPU to 2.4 or 2.5 GHz.

I agree that it seems as though PVconnect is not serving media. Before I put any music on the server, I did have movies. When I tried to access those, I noticed that DSM-520 showed 2 instances of HPSERVER; now I only see one. I assume the 2 instances were different media servers. I also don't recall getting the messages that it couldn't play protected Windows Media files. I've only seen those messages since I added music files, or maybe since the hardware upgrades.

Can you tell me how to disable Windows Media Connect?

Now I'm going to tackle the dropped connections.
    --- Glenn in Santa Cruz
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 5:16 AM
  • To disable the built-in streaming, just turn it off in the console for all three built-in media shares.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 5:25 PM
  • Well, I turned off the built-in as you suggested (console Settings/Media Sharing, disable all). I have PVconnect setup to use the Music, Video and Photos shares. In the console PVconnect status page it proclaims 1149 songs and some photos and videos. Unfortunately, the DSM-520 now reports No Content for any of these media types.

Is my prior contention true - that I think the dsm-520 should see TWO servers on the HPSERVER? One would be Media Connect 2.0, the other would be PVconnect? I used to see 2, now I only ever see one. I presume the one that I see is the Media Connect server. If I could figure out what service this is, I could stop it and see what my dsm-520 then sees.

I thought that I could check with Windows Media Player to see what it sees, but I can't figure out any way to make WMP search for streaming servers on my network.
    --- Glenn in Santa Cruz
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:06 AM
  • Turning off the built-in sharing (which you've done) means that the only server your DMR is seeing is PVConnect on your server. That you see no content on your DMR suggests to me that you need additional steps to configure your DMR to "see" the PVConnect content, or that it already does and the two have no formats in common.

You might be thinking that all this is very complicated and hard to figure out, and you'd be right. There is no "plug and play" interoperability in this technological arena today, even between devices from the same manufacturer. The XBox 360 can consume media types that Windows Media Connect/Windows Home Server can't deliver, and vice versa for just one (egregious) example. So there is a whole industry that has grown up around home theater and whole house media solutions.

Thursday, June 11, 2009 12:10 PM
  • Woo Hoo! I can close this thread, because I've at least got PVconnect (same as TwonkyVision 4.4.4) working now. I will open another discussion for the dropped connection.

Problem #1 - plays songs in alpha order by title - this is not a problem, it's simply the way Media Connect behaves if you naviagate to an album by the Artist pathway. Use Album and it's in track order (assuming your songs begin with 2-digit track number).

Problem #2 - apparently only Media Connect is sharing my music, even though it appears that PVconnect should also share. Disabling the shares in Settings/Media Sharing does not turn off Media Connect, so I see that server on my DSM-520, but there is no content to play.
    Indeed, I probably only needed to restart TwonkyVision!

I was led to this page: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1394&highlight=
    I then discovered why I couldn't access Twonky at port 9000. I implemented the fix recommended in above link and now I could see the config pages that I had never before seen. I also was finally able to view the Twonky logfiles. The log had repeated complaints about wanting to restart the service. So I went to WHS control panel and restarted the TwonkyVision service.
    There you go! Now my DSM-520 shows TWO instances of HPSERVER, like it used to. The one ismply named HPSERVER is evidently PVconnect - I had not seen this for a long time. The one named HPSERZVER:1:<other stuff> must be Media Connect.

Now I can tackle the other problems.

Thank you, Ken, for your great advice and patience.

--- Glenn in Santa Cruz
    • Marked as answer by Glenn Nelson Friday, June 12, 2009 4:17 AM
    Friday, June 12, 2009 4:16 AM
  • Never mind tackling the remaining problem - TwonkyVision fixed the dropped connections problem.
    So Media Connect evidently behaves badly and drops connections when trying to play music - in 5 attempts I was never able to play a single album all the way thru. With TwonkyVision, I have now played 2 albums (from the same previous tests) all the way thru, so I think this problem is solved.
    --- Glenn in Santa Cruz
    • Marked as answer by Glenn Nelson Friday, June 12, 2009 6:24 AM
    Friday, June 12, 2009 6:24 AM