none
Print Server with 64 bit Clients RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running WHS and using it as a print server.  I have three printers defined and their respective drivers loaded on the server.  Every thing works fine on my XP and Win7 32 bit clients.  I can add the remote printers and their respective drivers are then downloaded onto the clients.

I am now trying to add these same printers to a Win7 64 bit client.  But the drivers will not download or install from the server. 

Is there anyway to have both 32 and 64 bit clients in a WHS enviroment?

Saturday, November 27, 2010 1:26 AM

Answers

• An enterprise uses business class printers, which are either network capable on their own or at least have solid driver support for a wide range of operating systems. Consumer printers come with huge amounts of bloatware these days, and often don't even have a "driver only" installer. There are other issues with consumer printers as well; the rendering engine is usually part of the driver, rather than in firmware on the printer, for example, and this leads to a lot of potential issues in network situations.

Bottom line, though, is that Microsoft will say they're not responsible for the printers you choose to buy. I agree with them, I'm afraid. If you want good network performance from your printer, I really recommend you look into a networked multifunction printer.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Greg Wright Sunday, November 28, 2010 2:57 PM
    Sunday, November 28, 2010 6:04 AM

All replies

• You need to install appropriate drivers on your server. For 32 bit clients, you need 32 bit drivers, and for 64 bit clients, you need 64 bit drivers. You'll find some information about how to install alternate printer drivers here.
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 3:05 AM
  • Ken, thanks for replying.

I new I needed to load the 64 bit clients onto my WHS box, but was having trouble both finding them and then getting them to load.  Like many others, my printers (Laserjet 1320, Pixma IP4500 and Brother MFC 5440CN) are not that new, but work just fine and I really don't want to give them up. 

Eventually, I just loaded onto my server a XP/2003/Vista 64bit laserjet driver and that worked fine.  Could not load any drivers from Canon on the server, but loaded one onto my 64 bit client and that seemed to also work.  Gave up on the Brother!

But this all begs the question, what does an enterprise do when they have print servers on either Win 2003 or 2008 server, a vast mix of printers and Windows clients that may be a mix of 32 and 64 bit systems.  Before I retired, all our printers (mixtures of laserjets, lexmarks and xerox) were network connected, but served by our two print servers.  Fortunately, we only had XP and Win2K clients and all were 32 bit so did not have the 32/64 bit problem.

Oh, well, thanks again.  Now off to my next problem doing a bare metal restore of my 64 bit box using only a 32 bit restore CD and trying to get network drivers to work!!!!

Greg ...

Saturday, November 27, 2010 11:07 PM
  • An enterprise uses business class printers, which are either network capable on their own or at least have solid driver support for a wide range of operating systems. Consumer printers come with huge amounts of bloatware these days, and often don't even have a "driver only" installer. There are other issues with consumer printers as well; the rendering engine is usually part of the driver, rather than in firmware on the printer, for example, and this leads to a lot of potential issues in network situations.

Bottom line, though, is that Microsoft will say they're not responsible for the printers you choose to buy. I agree with them, I'm afraid. If you want good network performance from your printer, I really recommend you look into a networked multifunction printer.

• Marked as answer by Greg Wright Sunday, November 28, 2010 2:57 PM
    Sunday, November 28, 2010 6:04 AM