iscsi targets,vm, and very large storage RRS feed

• Question

• This is from another forum, not a WHS forum. It is a bit more hardware related than I manage, so I thought I would ask- is this correct ?

" I stumbled upon the proposition of using iscsi targets with whs somewhere; can't remember where. Sadly this doesn't work directly because the initiator does not start until after whs has taken control of the drives (whs will complain about missing drives at this point). If you instead ran whs inside a virtual machine, which would not start until after the host os has started, then use that host os as an iscsi initiator, then whs will see the iscsi targets as local drives. Hell, whs will see the mapped network drives the host os has as local drives from within the vm as well.

This allows you to add raid protected iscsi or smb shares to a whs pool. Granted you will have to segment those targets into 2tb partitions before adding them. "

Ben

Ben Ogilvie
    Monday, December 22, 2008 8:46 PM

Answers

• Ben,

In theory, yes. There is no reason why this shouldn't work in the manner suggested, but I don't see the point!
    WHS is designed to be simple and cheap, this proposal doesn't meet either of these but could be interesting for an enthusiast.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Monday, December 22, 2008 8:57 PM

All replies

• Ben,

In theory, yes. There is no reason why this shouldn't work in the manner suggested, but I don't see the point!
    WHS is designed to be simple and cheap, this proposal doesn't meet either of these but could be interesting for an enthusiast.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Monday, December 22, 2008 8:57 PM
  • Thanks Colin,

Actually, I did want to ask you, or Brubber, so a quick reply is great. A 40 TB media server is neither simple or cheap.

Ben

Ben Ogilvie
    Monday, December 22, 2008 9:51 PM