Shared Folders won't open - but videos are on hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• Since I installed PP1 I now receive messages that my video share is unhealthy.  All disc look OK.

I have 7 sata hard drives

3 wd 1tb and 1 seagate 1tb on the onboard nforce4 sata x 4 connectors  - no raid

1 wd 500gb, 1wd 1tb, and 1 seagate 1tb on a silicon image add in sata x 4 pci card.

I have 2 small cfg files I cannot delete from this folder.

Network error notice states File inconsitencies - most report that the original location-pointer is not valid or can't be found.

I cannot open my shared folders on the server or a client but all of the videos are there on the data drive and the shares can be accessed through explorer.

I believe some of these were there previously corrupt from a couple of random reboots, however normally I was able to just re-copy over them and they would be fine again.  I still have all my original dvd-rips elsewhere, and they are all done as simple vob rips.

It seems the file error message will only report a couple of movies at a time and not every movie that is corrupt.

So far to fix this:

I have to delete the old movie form the share and re-copy-  copying over will error out with a file not found message

I have two files which I cannot seem to delete - small config files copied from a client PC. Any help with this is appreciated

I repair 2 movies and the next 2, usually alphabetically show up in the file error details screen.

My shared\videos folder is being reported as unhealthy/at risk (not until PP1 did I see this) and won't open.

I would like to know the best way to clean this up.

I am using Moon Secure Antivirus which is the only free 2003 virus program I could find and will be disabling this to diag this file corruption problem.

System:

ecs(elite) 4m-a mb, AMD 5000+ black CPU, 2gb gskill ddr2 800 memory, evga 7950 video card, corsair 620w PS, 2 venus backplane modules for the hard drives, 1gb realtek nic pci card

This system did random reboots until I installed the MS AMD processor patch/driver via windows update.(if this helps someone)

Monday, June 16, 2008 8:20 PM

Answers

•  Tom Steed wrote:

RDP into the server, then open a commandline window. Navigate to the directory where the files you want to remove are.

Then type fsutil reparsepoint delete <filename> you should then be able to delete the file normally via windows.

I found that command in an old post about removing corrupt backups. I've used it when i got file errors with pp1.

Actually with the fixes to Drive Extender with Windows Home Serve Power Pack 1 there is no longer a need to use FSUTIL to delete tombstones which point to nothing (aka no shadow files).    With Power Pack 1, even with single hard drive systems, you can use Windows Explorer to manage the tombstone files on your home server, if you feel the need to "tinker around".  Personally, I never recommend someone to tinker with their home servers directly from the administrative desktop (either via a monitor hooked up to their home server or via a Remote Desktop session), as a lot of tinkerers have made fateful mistakes...

If you don't understand how tombstone files, sparse files, shadow files work and the architecture of Drive Extender - then it is best to access the files in your home server shared folders from one of your home PCs - and leave the monitor, mouse and keyboard unplugged from your home-built home servers.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:01 AM
  • To all,  I fixed my shared folders health problem with this cleanup utility which I found on another WHS post in these forums through Google.

http://calvin-au.com/whscleanup/

This checked all of my shared folders(took a couple of hours due to the size of my video folder), because that's what I selected, but it will actually check every file on your system if you want.  I found about 20-30 of my shared videos with the invalid path issue(many video ts files were invalid).  This utilty automatically ran the fsutil command for each.  Thank you Calvin!!!!!!

I then deleted all of the bad movie folders and shared folder health was restored.

Fortunately I still had the movies ripped on the original machine I was moving them from so all I need to do now is copy them back over.

It does concern me however that the corruption happened in the first place, but as I said, I was suffering from random reboots for awhile.  WHS update drivers for my AMD processor seemed to cure this. 

Make sure you get hardware components that have specific 2003 drivers.  Substituting an XP or another driver may be an issue.

Also my other folders were not affected, perhaps because I had duplication on for them.  So I am running duplication on the video share now and will monitor the video share for stability before I remove the originals from my other PC.

Duplicating the video folder which is almost 2tb takes a lot of drive space however.  Fortunately I have over 6tb total available with room to add another 1.5 if need be.

Hope this helps some of you.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:03 PM

All replies

• RDP into the server, then open a commandline window. Navigate to the directory where the files you want to remove are.

Then type fsutil reparsepoint delete <filename> you should then be able to delete the file normally via windows.

I found that command in an old post about removing corrupt backups. I've used it when i got file errors with pp1.

Monday, June 16, 2008 8:34 PM
  • Have you filed a bug and submitted your logs ?????????

The team would love to get an idea of what is going on with your server, but we need you to take the frist step and use Connect to file a bug.

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3483872&SiteID=50

Monday, June 16, 2008 10:30 PM
  •  Tom Steed wrote:

RDP into the server, then open a commandline window. Navigate to the directory where the files you want to remove are.

Actually with the fixes to Drive Extender with Windows Home Serve Power Pack 1 there is no longer a need to use FSUTIL to delete tombstones which point to nothing (aka no shadow files).    With Power Pack 1, even with single hard drive systems, you can use Windows Explorer to manage the tombstone files on your home server, if you feel the need to "tinker around".  Personally, I never recommend someone to tinker with their home servers directly from the administrative desktop (either via a monitor hooked up to their home server or via a Remote Desktop session), as a lot of tinkerers have made fateful mistakes...

If you don't understand how tombstone files, sparse files, shadow files work and the architecture of Drive Extender - then it is best to access the files in your home server shared folders from one of your home PCs - and leave the monitor, mouse and keyboard unplugged from your home-built home servers.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:01 AM
  • To all,  I fixed my shared folders health problem with this cleanup utility which I found on another WHS post in these forums through Google.

http://calvin-au.com/whscleanup/

This checked all of my shared folders(took a couple of hours due to the size of my video folder), because that's what I selected, but it will actually check every file on your system if you want.  I found about 20-30 of my shared videos with the invalid path issue(many video ts files were invalid).  This utilty automatically ran the fsutil command for each.  Thank you Calvin!!!!!!

I then deleted all of the bad movie folders and shared folder health was restored.

Fortunately I still had the movies ripped on the original machine I was moving them from so all I need to do now is copy them back over.

It does concern me however that the corruption happened in the first place, but as I said, I was suffering from random reboots for awhile.  WHS update drivers for my AMD processor seemed to cure this. 

Make sure you get hardware components that have specific 2003 drivers.  Substituting an XP or another driver may be an issue.

Also my other folders were not affected, perhaps because I had duplication on for them.  So I am running duplication on the video share now and will monitor the video share for stability before I remove the originals from my other PC.

Duplicating the video folder which is almost 2tb takes a lot of drive space however.  Fortunately I have over 6tb total available with room to add another 1.5 if need be.

Hope this helps some of you.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:03 PM