Deleting server backups RRS feed

• Question

• I had a borrowed, and empty, external 500GB USB drive and wanted to experiment with the new WHS backup feature.  I connected the drive, and added the drive as a backup drive.  WHS also added a SERVER as one of my "computers".  Then I backed up a user's folder, photos and public a few times, modifying files in between to see what ended up on the external drive.  Once I was satisfied, I told WHS to remove the external drive and not to use it anymore as a backup drive.  Then I unplugged the drive and plugged it into s desktop to see what was there.  I was done, and since I was just experimenting, I deleted the backups on the external drive and returned it.  Now WHS console says the server has been backed up as of __/__/__, but in fact, those backups are all gone.  How can I tell WHS to flag the server as not having been backed up again, especially since I no longer have the drive I used to back it up?

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 1:12 AM

Answers

• Hello. At the moment, this is being considered for later versions as this is not currently implemented. Sorry for the current hassle but the WIndows Home Server console is only stating that it was backed up at that date, even though the external drive has been removed, that doesn't change the fact that it had been backed up at that point. Performing another server backup should change the date accordingly though. If it does not, please file another bug on connect for us and sorry for any confusion or hassle!

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 9:12 PM

All replies

• R.L. - can I get you to file a bug on this via Connect with your repro steps and a screenshot of what you see at the end? 

Thx in advance,

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 1:36 AM
  • Done. 352812

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 2:21 AM
  • Have the same problem - did a backup, then removed the drive now I permently have Sever listed on the backup tabs and no way of backing it up!

There does not appear to be a way of removing server from the list of computers

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 6:56 PM
  • Hello. At the moment, this is being considered for later versions as this is not currently implemented. Sorry for the current hassle but the WIndows Home Server console is only stating that it was backed up at that date, even though the external drive has been removed, that doesn't change the fact that it had been backed up at that point. Performing another server backup should change the date accordingly though. If it does not, please file another bug on connect for us and sorry for any confusion or hassle!

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 9:12 PM