"Critical Error" on Remote Web Access RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I’ve run WHS 2011 for a week on a spare HD, while I was waiting for my SSD to arrive, and everything worked perfectly – the remote web access was responsive and without any hitches.

Then when I got the SSD I installed WHS on it, also without much of a problem, and initially everything was fine with the remote web access.

Then after a few days all of a sudden I couldn’t connect from work, where it gave a critical error, telling me to contact the person managing the server (no error codes), so I figured it just needed a reboot as I hadn’t really changed anything. So when I got home, I got the same critical error, and after a reboot of the server still the same. So then I tried accessing the remote web site locally (by replacing the homeserver domain name with the computer name) it worked fine, also using the external IP works fine (though with a certification warning, as I assume the cert is assigned to the resolved domain instead of the IP?) but even more weird, I could still connect remotely via my phone via the normal ***.homeserver.com address ! So since it was a relatively clean install I thought I’d play with the firewall settings etc, seeing if that was the guilty party, but no. Anyways – I ended up re-installing WHS 2011 again, but I still have the same problem!

I even changed the domain name, to see if this helped, to no avail. So I still get “Cannot connect to Remote Web Access. Please contact the person who manages the server”.

The machine has a Static IP, and the router (dd-wrt) correctly shows port 80 and 443 forwarded (via upnp) – I have NO idea what to do next.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Elco

Saturday, April 23, 2011 11:27 PM

Answers

• Talisman_,

This problem happened to me also. Clearing browser cookies fixed it. Sounds like the problem disappeared for you as the cookie must have expired.

• Proposed as answer by MDodich Monday, August 15, 2011 5:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Talisman_ Monday, August 15, 2011 6:03 PM
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 4:44 AM

All replies

• Well just as suddenly as the problem appeared has it disappeared - I have not changed a thing - not on the server (I've not even rebooted it), not on the router and not on any of the machines, and although I am very happy that it now works again - it also worries me slightly as I have no idea if or when it can happen again - especially if you rely on the remote access.

Cheers,

Elco

• Proposed as answer by bomby Tuesday, May 24, 2011 4:41 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by bomby Tuesday, May 24, 2011 4:42 AM
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 4:36 PM
  • Something like this is happening to one of my PCs right now and I'm a little miffed as to what is actually happening.

I have the Connector software installed on one PC so far. Before I installed it, I was able to access the Remote Access site from this PC. But after I installed it I started getting this error.

However, other computers inside the local network and as well as terminals outside of it are able to access the Remote Access site. It's just this machine that was already linked up to the server returns this Critical Error thing.

Does the Connector software interfere with the ability to access the Remote Access site? I'm asking because I don't want to install the Connector software onto my laptop and lose access to the Remote Access site.

Monday, May 2, 2011 6:09 PM
  • Talisman_,

This problem happened to me also. Clearing browser cookies fixed it. Sounds like the problem disappeared for you as the cookie must have expired.

• Proposed as answer by MDodich Monday, August 15, 2011 5:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Talisman_ Monday, August 15, 2011 6:03 PM
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 4:44 AM