Please help me setup individual hard drives to backup to per pc in onecare circle RRS feed

• Question

• I have a secondary external hard drive on each computer in my network for the sole purposes of backup. I do not want to use a single external hard drive as the backup drive for every computer in my network. The amount of data (many gigs) that would have to transfer through my network just to get a solid backup makes it impractical to have a centralized backup solution for every computer on my network.. It makes much more sense to have all the data backuped up locally into each computer's respective secondary hard drive. Can someone help me set this up in this fashion? OneCare's interface is quite confusing.

For example in backup settings there is a configuration for "Backup plan for all PC's (which is for Centralized Backup purposes)" and below that on the left hand side, each computer in the circle can be individually configured. I dont understand why i'm given the option to have a single set of options that applies to all computers in addition for individual customization. If i enable a single plan for that applies to all PC's, why should i be given an option to modify backup options on each individual pc?

Doesn't it make sense to disable customizing individual pc settings when i have centralized backup enabled? This could lessen any confusion for its users.

I can configure the backup device on the hub pc just fine, but on the other pc's i am only given the option to backup on "local backup device" a very vague and unspecific location.....

Main Computer - External Hard Drive Backup

Second Computer - Local Backup Device (WHAT AND WHERE IS THIS REFERRING TO??)

I think i have been able to decentralize backup, but how can i specify where what "local backup device" refers to?

I haven't posted on these forums in a month or two.... has onecare implemented support for backing up to internal secondary hard drives yet?

Monday, October 22, 2007 7:10 AM

Answers

• Since I'm pressed for time this evening, I grabbed the following from the 2.0 Help Center ( http://help.live.com/help.aspx?mkt=en-us&project=onecarev2#  )

What I believe you are seeing is that you did create a plan centralized backup and then successfully undid that so that each PC will have their own plan. The working in the last image you linked to is misleading, but I believe it means that there is no backup plan configured for the second PC in the list, so you need to go to that PC and go through the settings to change the plan. Once you select the option for local device, you should be able to select the external drive as a valid source.

Create a backup plan

To help avoid losing important data, you should create a backup plan to back up your files regularly. You can create a separate plan for individual computers, or create a plan that uses a central backup device for all the computers in your OneCare circle. You can create a plan that uses a central backup device only from a hub PC.

To create a backup plan:
    1. Open Windows Live OneCare.
    2. Under Quick links, click Change settings.
    3. On the Backup tab, click Configure backup.
    4. Do one of the following:
       Create a back up plan for a single computer
      1. If you're creating a backup plan for the first time on a hub PC, on the Change backup settings screen, click Skip this step.

–or–

If you're creating a backup plan for the first time on a computer that's not a hub PC, click Next. Otherwise, click Change settings.

2. In the left column, click the computer that you want to create a backup plan for.
       Create a back up plan for your OneCare circle
      1. If you haven't created a OneCare circle, on the Change backup settings screen, click Use an existing device.

–or–

If you've created a OneCare circle, click Change settings.

2. In the left column, click Backup plan for all PCs.
    5. Do one or more of the following:
       Select a location to back up your files to
       Select a backup schedule
       Select the files or folders that you want to include or exclude from your backup
    6. Click Next.
    7. Review the plan, and then click Save.

You are ready to back up your files. For more information, see Back up your files.

Notes
    • If you don't want other computers in your circle to be able to modify the backup settings, in the Backup plan for all PCs area, select the Only allow these settings to be changed on a hub PC check box.
    • If you want to use OneCare online photo backup as part of your backup plan, you must purchase an online photo backup subscription separately. For more information, see Purchase, renew, or cancel a OneCare online photo backup subscription.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 12:17 AM

All replies

•  

here are some corresponding images to help illustrate what i mean

Local Backup Device????

http://i22.tinypic.com/1zvevid.png

When i physically go to this pc to try to specify what the local backup device should be it says that you cannot modify settings from there, only from the hub pc.... and that settings were already configured........

Successfully decentralized backup configuration or not?

http://i24.tinypic.com/161z33k.jpg

Monday, October 22, 2007 7:15 AM
  • As you can see it instructs me to go to the pc, go to "actions to take" and configure backup for "this pc" which is all well in good except when i get there it says its already been configured by the hub pc, and that i cannot configure anything further from this pc because it is not the hub pc. uhhhhhh i'm being given two conflicting messages?

http://i24.tinypic.com/2ps1xzc.jpg

Now wouldn't it be nice if they allowed me to see what drives i could backup to on that particular pc from the hub pc, i should be able to see all the drives and backup options from the hub that i can backup to for each respective pc in the circle.

Monday, October 22, 2007 7:35 AM
  • I just want to reply that I understand how confusing this is, but since I don't have 2.0 on the PC I am sitting at, I can't offer any explanation that would be helpful. When I get a chance, I'll see if I can replicate what you are seeing and try to help. In the meantime, you could contact support - 

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 -use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support via email.

-steve

Monday, October 22, 2007 7:17 PM
  •  

Thanks Steve i'll be waiting for a response.
    Monday, October 22, 2007 11:40 PM
  • Since I'm pressed for time this evening, I grabbed the following from the 2.0 Help Center ( http://help.live.com/help.aspx?mkt=en-us&project=onecarev2#  )

What I believe you are seeing is that you did create a plan centralized backup and then successfully undid that so that each PC will have their own plan. The working in the last image you linked to is misleading, but I believe it means that there is no backup plan configured for the second PC in the list, so you need to go to that PC and go through the settings to change the plan. Once you select the option for local device, you should be able to select the external drive as a valid source.

Create a backup plan

To help avoid losing important data, you should create a backup plan to back up your files regularly. You can create a separate plan for individual computers, or create a plan that uses a central backup device for all the computers in your OneCare circle. You can create a plan that uses a central backup device only from a hub PC.

To create a backup plan:
    1. Open Windows Live OneCare.
    2. Under Quick links, click Change settings.
    3. On the Backup tab, click Configure backup.
    4. Do one of the following:
       Create a back up plan for a single computer
      1. If you're creating a backup plan for the first time on a hub PC, on the Change backup settings screen, click Skip this step.

–or–

If you're creating a backup plan for the first time on a computer that's not a hub PC, click Next. Otherwise, click Change settings.

2. In the left column, click the computer that you want to create a backup plan for.
       Create a back up plan for your OneCare circle
      1. If you haven't created a OneCare circle, on the Change backup settings screen, click Use an existing device.

–or–

If you've created a OneCare circle, click Change settings.

2. In the left column, click Backup plan for all PCs.
    5. Do one or more of the following:
       Select a location to back up your files to
       Select a backup schedule
       Select the files or folders that you want to include or exclude from your backup
    6. Click Next.
    7. Review the plan, and then click Save.

You are ready to back up your files. For more information, see Back up your files.

Notes
    • If you don't want other computers in your circle to be able to modify the backup settings, in the Backup plan for all PCs area, select the Only allow these settings to be changed on a hub PC check box.
    • If you want to use OneCare online photo backup as part of your backup plan, you must purchase an online photo backup subscription separately. For more information, see Purchase, renew, or cancel a OneCare online photo backup subscription.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 12:17 AM
  •  

Thanks for the attempt, but the problem here is that, whenever i go to the other pc to specify what the backup device is, it ends up telling me that it has already been configured from the hub and cannot be changed from that pc. I cannot select the device from the hub, nor the client pc.

problem is still here.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 7:24 PM
  • I haven't set up a centralized backup and then tried to revert to a single backup, but I did confirm the settings per the above help text. The best I can offer now is for you to reach out to support - 

Support for 2.0 Beta - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 - use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support via email.

In the meantime, perhaps someone will be able to give guidance here...

-steve

Friday, October 26, 2007 12:49 AM
  • I think,  the check box "Only allow these settings to be changed by hub PC" in the hub PC is checked. So it does not allow you to change the backup configuration. In the hub PC, please uncheck this and save to change the backup configuration in client pc. If you don't want to allow the client pc to change the configuration, please go to client pc, become a hub temporarily, change the backup configuration and save it.  

Monday, October 29, 2007 9:04 AM