none
Backup and Restore of Windows HPC Server Headnode RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

is it possible to Backup and Restore the Headnode in case of a hardware failure ? I can't find any information about this scenario.

If yes:

Is it sufficient to backup the Database ?
    I saw that the recovery model if the Scheduler Database is set to "full". Is there a recommended schedule for the maintenance plan (Full Backup/Diff backup/Translog backup) ? Would it be supported to change the recovery model ?

Kind regards,
    Michael

Thursday, April 9, 2009 10:10 AM

Answers

• We have tested head node backup. The cluster will be back in the state when the snapshot was taken. So queued jobs would still run, and added/removed nodes accounted for.

alex
    • Marked as answer by Alex Sutton Wednesday, May 6, 2009 8:48 PM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 8:48 PM
  • To follow-up on this, we did additional testing and work in HPC Server 2008 SP1 for backup and restore. There is also new documentation on this scenario.

Please let us know if youhave further feedback or suggestions.

alex
    • Marked as answer by Alex Sutton Friday, July 17, 2009 5:51 PM
    Friday, July 17, 2009 5:50 PM

All replies

• I don't think we officially support the backup and restore story for head node. We might consider it in future releases.

Thanks,
    Violet
    Monday, April 20, 2009 6:51 AM
  • We have tested head node backup. The cluster will be back in the state when the snapshot was taken. So queued jobs would still run, and added/removed nodes accounted for.

alex
    • Marked as answer by Alex Sutton Wednesday, May 6, 2009 8:48 PM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 8:48 PM
  • Thanks for your answers!

Alex, what types of backup did you do during your tests ? Is a regular full backup sufficient if we did not want to restore data on an hourly basis, or do we really need to backup the whole logfile? It is about 18 GB now at our site and the Database itself has only 300 MB.

Just for feedback: maybe in the future you could provide some basic scripts or internal functions to help admins which are not that familiar with SQL Server to do basic backup or maintenance tasks. Especially for those, who use SQL Server Express. I believe the SQL Server Express GUI doesn't support maintenance Plans or scheduled backups.

Thanks again,
    Michael
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 7:22 AM
  • We're going to play around with this some more and do additional testing over the next couple of weeks. I'll reply back with some more detailed answers then.

alex
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 8:30 PM
  • To follow-up on this, we did additional testing and work in HPC Server 2008 SP1 for backup and restore. There is also new documentation on this scenario.

Please let us know if youhave further feedback or suggestions.

alex
    • Marked as answer by Alex Sutton Friday, July 17, 2009 5:51 PM
    Friday, July 17, 2009 5:50 PM