managing two out of three on circle RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently bought an external hard drive and would like to back up my home laptop and home desktop.  My daughter's computer shows up on the circle, also.  She is away at college and has her computer backed up there on her external hard drive.  My home desktop is the hub of the circle.  In order to do a central backup, should I remove my daughter's computer from the circle?  That won't cause her a problem for continuing to use OneCare on her school computer, will it? 

Then once I have central backup enabled, I don't understand how it works:  the home laptop is connected wirelessly--is it going to be able to backup to the wired desktop which will have the external HD connected to it?  Also, the wireless laptop is the computer that will have the most on it to backup, if that makes a difference.  Thanks for your help.

Friday, February 8, 2008 12:38 PM

Answers

• You can configure the Centralized backup on the hub PC and then modify the settings for each PC from the hub to check or uncheck the Centralized backup option. Since your daughter's PC will backup to the local drive, simply select "local backup" in the panel for her PC.

Don't remove her PC from the Circle as it will cause her PC to become unsubscribed.

Yes, backup can be done wirelessly, but I'd suggest doing the first one with the remote PC connected to your network via an ethernet cable.

-steve

Friday, February 8, 2008 7:54 PM
  • Open OneCare on the hub (your PC)

Click change settings

Click the backup tab

Click Configure Backup

The panel that appears is the "Backup plan for all PCs"

You should see a panel for the centralized backup and a list of the other PCs in your circle on the left side.

Click the change settings button in the lower left

The backup plan for all PCs entry is highlighted and you can configure centralized backup or set "no centralized backup"

When you click on each PC name, you have the ability to configure backup for each PC in the Circle from the hub.

The panel changes to "Backup plan for {PC Name}" and you can turn backup on or off. If on, you can select Central backup device or Local backup device. Since you daughter's PC is already using the external drive, her backup should show as on and using "external hard drive." You can't configure it from the hub to use a network Share or change the device, but you can switch it to the Centralized backup device - which you don't want since she is not using the PC on your LAN.

So, you'd leave hers set to "external hard drive" and you can make the hub and one other PC on your LAN use the "centralized backup device"

-steve

Saturday, February 9, 2008 2:33 AM

All replies

• You can configure the Centralized backup on the hub PC and then modify the settings for each PC from the hub to check or uncheck the Centralized backup option. Since your daughter's PC will backup to the local drive, simply select "local backup" in the panel for her PC.

Don't remove her PC from the Circle as it will cause her PC to become unsubscribed.

Yes, backup can be done wirelessly, but I'd suggest doing the first one with the remote PC connected to your network via an ethernet cable.

-steve

Friday, February 8, 2008 7:54 PM
  • Thanks, Steve.  Now, where do I find this?  "simply select "local backup" in the panel for her PC".  I don't see that on my "Your OneCare Circle" window.  -Kim

Friday, February 8, 2008 9:21 PM
  • Open OneCare on the hub (your PC)

Click change settings

Click the backup tab

Click Configure Backup

The panel that appears is the "Backup plan for all PCs"

You should see a panel for the centralized backup and a list of the other PCs in your circle on the left side.

Click the change settings button in the lower left

The backup plan for all PCs entry is highlighted and you can configure centralized backup or set "no centralized backup"

When you click on each PC name, you have the ability to configure backup for each PC in the Circle from the hub.

The panel changes to "Backup plan for {PC Name}" and you can turn backup on or off. If on, you can select Central backup device or Local backup device. Since you daughter's PC is already using the external drive, her backup should show as on and using "external hard drive." You can't configure it from the hub to use a network Share or change the device, but you can switch it to the Centralized backup device - which you don't want since she is not using the PC on your LAN.

So, you'd leave hers set to "external hard drive" and you can make the hub and one other PC on your LAN use the "centralized backup device"

-steve

Saturday, February 9, 2008 2:33 AM