Hard Drive Repair Tool RRS feed

• Question

• WHS gives me a warning that one of my Hard Drives is failing, to run Repair to fix the drive. Is this a tool available in WHS? Or do I need to find a repair tool for my Maxtor Drive?
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 1:20 PM

Answers

• If under the "shared folder" all the folder show healty, then all your files are ok. Just add the drive back in, WHS will format and add the drive. So if there was a problem it may not return. As it just might have been a software problem and not a physical problem with the hard drive.

Just my thoughts and what I would do....

Friday, May 11, 2007 7:43 PM

All replies

• Maxtor provide PowerMax on their site to diagnose/repair drives. Sadly afaik it does not diagnose sata drives connected to mainboard controllers.
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 1:25 PM
  • Had the same probem with one of my hard drives, it was a 120GB maxtor.

In the storage server window, Right click on the faulty drive and select repair.

According to the help file it does the following:-

- scans the drive by using CHKDSK,

-  correct disk errors, and

- rebuilds shared foldersduplication, if necessary.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 9:00 PM
  • Thanks Vsawler, Mine is also a 120GB. I installed a 320GB WD after I saw the error. Now In WHS Console Server Storage I see my 1st Drive (Healthy), 2nd Drive (Missing, bad drive), and the new 3rd Drive (Healthy). I also have a drive in "Non Storage Drives" not added. I can add the drive but it will format first. It is the drive that was reported as bad, so what should I do? Remove it from the system or attempt to format and add it to the system? I have no reason to beleive that the drive is truely bad it was new when I built the WHS Server. I also have a warning that "Backup Service" is not running, I would like to fix that ASAP and am concerned about my Drive Extender functions. If the drive really is bad then I am worried about the 1st drive as well, I bought them at the same time. I do not get the option to "repair" after a right click on the bad drive only Add or Remove depending on which side of "Server Storage" I'm on. Any suggestions on how to procede? I'd like to make sure Backup is working and be protected in case I loose another drive.
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 10:33 PM
  • The 120GB drive was my boot/system disk when went bad and I ran the repair. The drive is fine now and I don't think there was anything physicaly wrong with the drive at the time. I think WHS Beta2 had some problems that caused the data on the drive to get out of sync.

I take it the missing 2nd drive is the 120GB one?  Did you have file duplication on for all folders? 

Vince

Friday, May 11, 2007 1:09 AM
  • Yes I have file duplication on for all folders. And the 2nd drive is the 120GB reported as "Bad"  My primary drive is also a 120GB Maxtor that I bought and installed at the same time. My server has been reporting that it is Balancing Storage since I added the new 320GB drive. I'm tempted to add the 2nd drive and see what happens? But thought it might be better to wait until Balancing Storage is complete. Is there any way to see what is on the 2nd drive since WHS is reporting it as "Bad"? Does it even matter what is on it since everything should already be duplicated on the primary drive?
    Friday, May 11, 2007 1:57 AM
  • If under the "shared folder" all the folder show healty, then all your files are ok. Just add the drive back in, WHS will format and add the drive. So if there was a problem it may not return. As it just might have been a software problem and not a physical problem with the hard drive.

Just my thoughts and what I would do....

Friday, May 11, 2007 7:43 PM
  • Thanks Vince, I did just that and my drive is OK and part of the WHS storage pool.
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 1:24 PM
  • RonRock,

I have the same problem as you...  my 500g WD external drive went down ( but can still run on my Vista machine)  and since then the "Backup Service" has not been running..  I am thinking of re-installing WHS...   how did you solve your backup problem?

Andrew

Monday, June 18, 2007 4:12 PM