Restore to new system disk - no backups shown RRS feed

• Question

• I want to replace the system disk on one of my computers which currently has its C (system) and D (local data) drives routinely backed up by WHS. When I replaced the system drive (C) and ran the WHS restore CD, it locates the WHS system without difficulty, but only gives me a choice of backups on the D (data) drive from which to restore. I can't seem to find a way for it to show me available backups from the C: drive.

How do I get the WHS restore environment to allow me to restore the system disk to a new drive?

Richard Eckman 
    Friday, December 26, 2008 2:43 PM

Answers

• When you view backups for that computer in the WHS console, does the C: drive show as backed up? Can you open those backups through the console? If so, are you sure you're trying to restore to a drive that's at least as large as the drive you were backing up from?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by jefftiger Friday, December 26, 2008 4:05 PM
    Friday, December 26, 2008 3:12 PM

All replies

• When you view backups for that computer in the WHS console, does the C: drive show as backed up? Can you open those backups through the console? If so, are you sure you're trying to restore to a drive that's at least as large as the drive you were backing up from?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by jefftiger Friday, December 26, 2008 4:05 PM
    Friday, December 26, 2008 3:12 PM
  • Ken,
      Thanks for the quick reply. I think that my situation is self-inflicted. I just found that I had a couple of bad backups of the system disk (C:) and this, combined, with my unfamiliarity with the interface led me to believe that there were no recent backups available. It all looks okay now.

Richard
    Friday, December 26, 2008 4:04 PM