Marketing List members are companies not individuals RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks

We recently bulk imported 650 leads from Excel for a mail shot done under a campaign. All we had was the company name and address.

The steps we followed were:- 

1) Created a campaign for the mail shot.

2) Created a marketing list for the campaign

3) Bulk uploaded 650 members from Excel. (Created leads for them)

Given we only had company name this was used to populate both the "Company Name" field AND the "Last Name" field so we could see the company name on the marketing list members screen.

We are starting to get responses back and are now associating people to the companies.

We have gone into the lead, changed the First & Last name as appropriate and left company name in company name.

However when we try to qualify the lead as an opportunity it says we have to assign a "potential customer" and thus select an account or contact. We would rather not have to set up individual contact records for the individuals associated with the original lead companies as their name is now on the lead record.

Is there a way around this ?

Thanks in advance

Jay

((PS I hope that all made sense))

Thursday, May 16, 2013 3:36 PM

Answers

• Hello Jay,

I think you should think about your definition of lead and how to use it in Dynamics CRM

My oppinion: A lead in dynamics CRM is a piece of address data where you  don't know the relevance.  The concept of Dynamics CRM in my opinion: If this is address is a good one, then convert the lead to account and/or contact and use it for a longer time  If this lead / address is useless, you disqualify it and it's not visible in the future. I see  open leads as  something like a do-to list for qualification.

If you receive responses with the firstname  and Lastname, you can fill the fields and qualify the lead to account, contact and and opportunity.Check at the qualification dialoque all three checkboxes and the new opportunity has a relation to the new account/contact.  So opportunities are only related to accounts and contacts. I think this is the concept in Dynamics CRM. 

I remember that in the former day (CRM 4.0) there was a possibility to connect opportunities to leads. You can see that the default relation  opportunity_originating_lead is now disabled.  I think it would be possible to create a workaround (that mean: define a new relation between lead and opportunity, and modify the Customer-Lookup at opportunity that it accepts also leads). But  i think this will send you to troubles in the future.

Herzliche Grüße / Best regards Markus Müller If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

• Marked as answer by Jay_Bird_UK Wednesday, May 22, 2013 9:45 AM
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 5:05 PM

All replies

• Hello Jay,

I think you should think about your definition of lead and how to use it in Dynamics CRM

My oppinion: A lead in dynamics CRM is a piece of address data where you  don't know the relevance.  The concept of Dynamics CRM in my opinion: If this is address is a good one, then convert the lead to account and/or contact and use it for a longer time  If this lead / address is useless, you disqualify it and it's not visible in the future. I see  open leads as  something like a do-to list for qualification.

If you receive responses with the firstname  and Lastname, you can fill the fields and qualify the lead to account, contact and and opportunity.Check at the qualification dialoque all three checkboxes and the new opportunity has a relation to the new account/contact.  So opportunities are only related to accounts and contacts. I think this is the concept in Dynamics CRM. 

I remember that in the former day (CRM 4.0) there was a possibility to connect opportunities to leads. You can see that the default relation  opportunity_originating_lead is now disabled.  I think it would be possible to create a workaround (that mean: define a new relation between lead and opportunity, and modify the Customer-Lookup at opportunity that it accepts also leads). But  i think this will send you to troubles in the future.

Herzliche Grüße / Best regards Markus Müller If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

• Marked as answer by Jay_Bird_UK Wednesday, May 22, 2013 9:45 AM
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 5:05 PM
  • Thanks for that Markus

I think the problem is basically we were wanting to (in this particular instance anyway) just have the lead/opportunity set up as it would be better to have the  account/contact held in a different system. We wanted CRM (in this instance) purely for recording/reporting the performance of the campaign take up.

I agree this is not how CRM is designed to work or hold data .. this was more a one off "trial exercise"

We will give in and work how CRM wants us too ;)

Thanks again

Jay

Friday, May 17, 2013 3:29 PM