Google Apps, any experience in integrating with Outlook CRM Plug In? RRS feed

• Question

• My company is going to migrate our email and calendar from a current configuration which is based on Exchange and Linux servers to Google Apps.

The reason for migrating email and calendar to cloud is for cost and security reasons.    The cost of maintaining systems is now mainly achieving cyber security (such as NIST 800.53) and is beyond the cost we can afford.   We will not be migrating to Microsoft cloud for email and calendar because >50% of our staff are Linux fans.   Google Apps works for both Windows users and Linux users, and also integrates well with cell phone end points such as iPhone and Android.

This creates the question of how we will support Dynamics integration with the Google Apps once we make our Exchange Server go away.   I am not optimistic this can be done.  It is a grave limitation of the CRM Plug In for Outlook that it will not work with mail servers that are IMAP based.

So this will throw our commitment and investment in Dynamics into play.   The conversation today in our systems meeting was whether we could do better with SalesForce.com.

Monday, January 3, 2011 9:24 PM

Answers

• The CRM email router will actually integrate quite easily with Gmail via pop3/smtp and I'd guess that the Google apps version of Gmail also supports these as well as imap. I actually use a Gmail account in my test CRM environment and it works great.

Your Outlook plugin will continue to work as that integrates with Outlook, not Exchange.

Neil - My CRM Blog
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Wednesday, January 5, 2011 11:04 PM
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 11:02 AM

All replies

• The CRM email router will actually integrate quite easily with Gmail via pop3/smtp and I'd guess that the Google apps version of Gmail also supports these as well as imap. I actually use a Gmail account in my test CRM environment and it works great.

Your Outlook plugin will continue to work as that integrates with Outlook, not Exchange.

Neil - My CRM Blog
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Wednesday, January 5, 2011 11:04 PM
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 11:02 AM
  • phduserguy, What did your company end up doing? Were you successful with the Dynamics/Google Apps email integration?  

Thanks in advance,

Monty

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:55 AM