none
Home Server Product Key does not work.... RRS feed

• Question

• I subscribe to the Microsoft Action Pack.  With that, you receive a quarterly update of marketing information as well as software to install.  Although it was sitting in my pile of MAP binders for a while, over Christmas I thought I would try to install the Home Server Product and give it an evaluation.  If it worked I would consider using it for backup. 

I installed it on an old Dell machine that I had sitting around and when it asked for the Product Key, I entered the values on the label on the back of the disc envelope but it said it was not valid.   No matter, it gave me an opportunity to continue and enter it later - which I did. 

The installation went without a hitch and I have installed the connector on a couple of machines and it works like a charm.  Problem now, I try to activate it and it still says the key is incorrect.  I have looked at a million times and even changed some letters thinking that the printing is off but no joy.

So, I call MS activation.... they have not heard of the product and sent me to another department.  I get to that department and they have not heard of it either and told me to call back.  

What's a person to do?   I have a legit copy of the software with a key that does not work. 

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 8:23 PM

Answers

• I thought that this was cleared up a coupe of years ago, but perhaps not, or perhaps you have a (very) old Action Pack DVD. See this blog post...l
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 8:36 PM

All replies

• I thought that this was cleared up a coupe of years ago, but perhaps not, or perhaps you have a (very) old Action Pack DVD. See this blog post...l
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 8:36 PM
  • Thanks Ken for the link.   You are correct, it is an old DVD.  It seems that MAP is the only place that I can get the code.  The unfortunite part is I just let my MAP subscription lapse and I cannot get support.
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 3:59 PM