none
Responive Design

General discussion

• Hi,

I like the forum, but the design is not good at all. For example I'm using 4k and content of the site fills ony 1/4 of my screen. The width of this site should be responsive to the windowsize.

Maybe It's time for a new modern design...

Are here more people thinking like this?

Greetings, Chris

Wednesday, October 03, 2018 11:59 AM

All replies

• I use GreaseMonkey (other plugins of the sort can do too) to override the width settings of #JelloExpander (set it to auto) and .threadPageContentContainer (set to any width that fits your screen. I don't set it to 100% because it makes the thread content drop below the sidebar. Maybe set it to something around 80% can do. I'd appreciate if the site admins can add multiple @media override with min-width for us).

The VS style header can be expanded by setting ".header-top-bar, .ux-footer" width to auto, but there are other variants such as the Technet and SQL Server one. (I have no idea about the total number of themes on this site)

Here's how to add custom CSS override with it.

• Edited by cheong00 Friday, October 05, 2018 4:16 AM
    Friday, October 05, 2018 3:50 AM
  • Hi cheong00,

I'm sorry that I'm responding so late. Thank you for your tip. So it's common to modify the original layout and styles? This will help me for sure, but what is with all the visiters comming here. They will think: "This forum looks like the design was not changed since over 10 years...". Maybe it would be a good idea for mircosoft to start a competition for web designers, giving the winner a price...

Greetings, Chris

PS: I'm not a web designer, so I'm not able to win... :D

Friday, October 12, 2018 8:52 PM
  • I think the current forum is not built from scratch by Microsoft, but bought commercial forum software package. Even if Microsoft hold that design competition, unless the submitted CSS file is created by tweaking the original template, it will very likely break the current forum functions. (Modern javascript uses CSS class as anchor point to carry out most functions)

So I'd say the safest way to make good use of screen estate is to have forum admins add additional CSS file to apply the override I mentioned, so the display area got wider and the forum functions are not affected.

Sunday, October 14, 2018 1:26 AM