Home Server C Drive Full RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

System drive on Home server (C:) is all of sudden full. I check the folders inside C drive and found C:\Windows is nearly 16 GB. But inside the folder C:\Windows total size of all files and folders is only 3.6 GB.

Higly appreciate any help.

Thanks you in advance

Okay, I got it .. 

Inside the "windows" folder there is a folder called "Installer" which is protected operating system folder thats why it was hidden. Inside the folder there are 10s of .msi files (like 2d8b3a.msi, 2d8b4d.msi........) whose total size is nearly 12 GB.

can I delete these files?

I hope I will get some response.

thanks

• Edited by kat123456 Wednesday, May 9, 2012 3:08 PM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 11:12 AM

All replies

• I assume you are talking about WHS1 and the C: partition is 20GB? Have you installed anything on your system recently?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:58 PM
  • Inside the "windows" folder there is a folder called "Installer" which is protected operating system folder thats why it was hidden. Inside the folder there are 10s of .msi files (like 2d8b3a.msi, 2d8b4d.msi........) whose total size is nearly 12 GB.

can I delete these files?

I hope I will get some response.

thanks

This folder contains the installation files for all the software you've installed on your server, which (apparently) is quite a lot. There's a tool you can use to help clean this data up a bit; here's a link to a blog post that describes it's use.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, May 10, 2012 2:31 AM
  • You usually should not touch this folder at all, since this may make it impossible to apply updates or uninstall software later.

If there is no other way, you can check, if you can determine, which program is behind the files (right click, Properties, Details sometimes contains the application name) and maybe move some of the largest to another disk with the option to copy it back, if needed later. Or if there are multiple files of the same size, you might experience an installer error from an application or update, which attempts to run again and again. Try to figure out what it is and solve the issue. Maybe the event log can help you also.

On my Windows Home Server the installer folder has a size of 500 MB.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, May 11, 2012 1:56 PM
  • I would check this Folder   C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects\SystemIndex  or

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

I had an index go nutty one time and eat up all my room... Look for the largest sized file then google the file name and you should get an answer on Deleting it and/or having it recreate a new index.

Jeff

You are Here

Monday, May 14, 2012 6:11 PM