How do you loop a section of chords? (Migrated from community.research.microsoft.com) RRS feed

• Question

• Livevil posted on 04-25-2009 3:45 PM

Instead of singing in to the mic I just press record and stop it after 16 bars.  Then I fill in chords that I want it to play.  I was wondering if there was a way to loop those 16 bars so I wouldn't have to keep pressing stop, play, stop, play, stop.....

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:22 PM

Answers

• Retali8 replied on 06-13-2009 11:10 AM

AD. 2 is a very valid request. Please do make copy+paste possible optionally with or without the audio. If You don't want to clutter the program (which is understood as its main feature is simplicity), just make a "Pro" version of it (Song Forge?), with all the essential features required to make a true song from A to Z, then just charge few $ more for an upgrade ...

all the best and thank You for this great and truly innovative app!

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:23 PM

All replies

• dmorris replied on 04-27-2009 6:37 PM

There isn't a pefect solution for what you're trying to do, but here's a trick that gets you 99% of the way there...

Once you have your chords entered, click the "mixer" button in the lower-right.  This brings up the mixer window.  As long as "preview instrument changes" is checked in this window, your chords will loop over and over.  The only thing that's not-quite-ideal here is that you can't turn off the two "ending bars", so you'll hear them as part of your loop.  This will be fixed in a subsequent release. 

But this should basically do what you want if you're playing around with a melody and want to sing it a few times while you listen to the chords, or if you're using Songsmith to build a "jam track'" that you want to solo over.  This is actually a great way to use Songsmith, and I hadn't thought of this trick before... I'm glad you asked!

Hope that helps!

-Dan

• Livevil replied on 04-29-2009 6:27 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Dan.

I just have two questions:

1) Is it possible to burn the tracks onto a CD?

2) Is it possible to copy and paste a section of chords?  I was planning to put these tracks on CD and I wouldn't be able to use the "preview instrument changes trick" to keep the track going.  It would be really exciting if a copy/paste and a "loop" feature were added to Songsmith.  It would be a perfect improv tool!

• dmorris replied on 05-05-2009 5:03 PM

1) You can export as .wav files or .wma files (click the arrow next to the "save" button, then click "export"), and just about all CD-burning programs will let you burn .wav files to an audio CD.

2) Sorry, it's not currently possible to cut and paste a section of chords.

Glad to hear you're enjoying Songsmith; looping would indeed be a great feature for the future...

-Dan

• Retali8 replied on 06-13-2009 11:10 AM

AD. 2 is a very valid request. Please do make copy+paste possible optionally with or without the audio. If You don't want to clutter the program (which is understood as its main feature is simplicity), just make a "Pro" version of it (Song Forge?), with all the essential features required to make a true song from A to Z, then just charge few $ more for an upgrade ...

all the best and thank You for this great and truly innovative app!

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:23 PM