Music on hold RRS feed

• Question

• How do you setup music on hold in the OCS environment?

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 2:46 PM

All replies

• This is not really available in OCS 2007

You can configure your client to play music when your client is put on hold but no other option

You could change the communicator_onhold.wav file

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 4:08 PM
  • Alternatively this is a feature (Music-On-Hold via the Group Response Service) which will be available naively in OCS when R2 is released early next year.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 7:39 PM
  • I was able to get MOH working in environment.  I have a Audio Codes Mediant 1000, which will play Music On Hold for MOC clients if configured to do so.  The MOC client itself just sends the request, the gateway actually has to play the music.  Also, even if you are receiving a call in MOC as a response group agent, MOH will not be played unless your gateway is configured to play it for the MOC client.

Thanks!

-KP
    MCSE/MCSA/MCTS/CCNA/Security+
    • Edited by Kevin Peters Friday, April 17, 2009 5:16 PM New Info
    • Proposed as answer by Kevin Peters Friday, April 17, 2009 5:24 PM
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 3:19 PM
  • Kevin,

Which setting(s) on Mediant you change? I don't have AC, but want to check against the manual. I'm very curious how exactly Mediation server interacts with client and gateway in this case.

Thanks in advance,

Drago

Friday, April 17, 2009 10:47 PM
  • Drago,

You just need to create a dat file to upload that contains the music (as a PRT).  The gateway is actually responsible for playing the on hold tone, not MOC, so you porblaby would do the same type of thing on whatever gateway you have. 

For the M1K you can use DConvertto package it up as an "acOnHoldTone".  If you want I can email you the file I used and you can upload, it's the MOH1.wma file from OCS converted over to a format the audio codes can use.  Here's some more info - a big thank you to Mike Erps from Audio Codes for his help on this.

reference Section 6.3 Prerecorded Tones (PRT) File of the User’s Manual for the correct audio format of the PRT files:

https://us-support.audiocodes.com/ftp/release/AudioCodes/5.6/SIP/Documentation/LTRT-83304_Mediant_1000_and_Mediant_600_SIP_User's_Manual_Ver_5.6.zip

Reference the ‘Reference Manual’ Section 11.2.6 Creating a Loadable Prerecorded Tones File:

https://us-support.audiocodes.com/ftp/release/AudioCodes/5.6/SIP/Documentation/LTRT-52303_Product_Reference_Manual_for_SIP_Gateways_and_Media_Servers_Ver_5.6.zip

The utility required to convert the audio file to a PRT is DConvert:

https://us-support.audiocodes.com/ftp/release/AudioCodes/Utilities/DConvert.zip

Hope this helps!

-KP

MCSE/MCSA/MCTS/CCNA/Security+
    Friday, April 17, 2009 11:07 PM
  • Thank Buddy,

I am actually interested in the mechanism of SDP i.e. how the MOC -> Mediation interact with the GTW. The links you posted is a good place to start.

Cheers,

Drago

Saturday, April 18, 2009 12:07 AM
  • Kevin,

thanks for the detailed description on the MOH topic. This is exactly, what I was looking for.
    I wonder why the Communicator Attendant does play MOH and MOC does not. But that's a different one.

I exactly followed your "manual", but did not have success so far.
    The conversion & the upload of the audio file was successful, but when in MOC (R2) I take a caller on hold, there's still no music.
    On the M1K syslog I can see, that Mediation server returns the held call back to the gateway.

Is there anything in OC/S or the M1K, that I have to configure additionally? Any other ideas to troubleshoot this?

Thanks for your help.

Marcus

Friday, October 16, 2009 10:10 AM
  • Marcus,

did you select acOnHold as the type?  If so shoot me an email via my blog (ocsguy.com) and I'll ship you a file over to try.  If that doesn't work it might be good to contact audiocodes for assistance.

-kp
    Kevin Peters MCSE/MCSA/MCTS/CCNA/Security+ blog: www.ocsguy.com
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 11:56 PM
  • Kevin,

I finally got it running :-)

There are two things that took me some time to find out:

- the source file, that you use to convert into a prerecorded tone file has to be in (8 KHz, 8 Bit, mono) G.711 A-Law instead of PCM (which seems to be default for WAV recordings)
    - in the Audiocodes M1K: -> Configuration -> Protocol Configuration -> SIP Advanced Parameters -> Supplementary Services -> Enable Hold to ISDN = Enable

Thanks for your help.

Marcus
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 6:17 AM
  • How would you change the file to play MOH?  I changed the file using the alerts tab but it will still not play MOH.  Any ideas or steps to help me out?

Thanks,

Dan Peters
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 1:51 PM
  • Dan,

the file you change via the alerts tab is what you hear when you are on hold.  To change what incoming callers hear you will need to configure your gateway to play music on hold.

KP
    Kevin Peters MCSE/MCSA/MCTS/CCNA/Security+ blog: www.ocsguy.com
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:01 PM
  • Jeff, let's please avoid futures and speculations on these forums - thanks!

Friday, October 30, 2009 10:31 PM

• I don't understand your comment???  Everything Jeff said back then became true...

"Alternatively this is a feature (Music-On-Hold via the Group Response Service) which will be available naively in OCS when R2 is released early next year"

There is music on hold via the response group in OCS R2...  I wish you could have more then a 4MB file - but it does work.

Regards

Paul Adams
    Friday, October 30, 2009 11:51 PM