RC1 - activated, but not genuine RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!
    I've been using Vista RC1 almost since it was released without any glitches. However the day before yesterday suprisingly a message saying my copy isn't genuine showed up.
    I don't know if it has anything common with the case, but couple of hours before I've installed: .Net Framework 1.1, .Net Framework 1.1 SDK, J# .Net 1.1, MSXML 4.0, Borland Delphi For .Net and run System Restore at least 2 times.
    Hope somebody can help me to resolve this issue.
    Tuesday, December 5, 2006 11:39 PM

Answers

• Could I ask you to activating again with the first key you tried.  It looks like the key your system is using right now is the default key.  You can reactivate through the System Properties panel.  Once you've entered your key be sure to click "Next" or press Enter, but do not click "Activate Windows online now".  Let me know if that works.  Thanks again!

Below is a post from an earlier thread that I think might explain what you're seeing. 

Rich Eizenhoefer - MS wrote:

I worked with CTL_Advance offline via email and we discovered that he was attempting to activate with the default product key installed by setup when one does not enter a key during setup.  From June through October 5th, MS customer service representatives were allowing a "phone override" activation for these keys when users called in.  This was a communication/logistics problem on our part; it took some time to get the "setup default keys" blocked in the PSS call centers.  The keys are blocked now, so neither online nor phone activation is allowed any longer.

Thursday, December 7, 2006 6:56 PM
  • I just got access to your SR.  It looks like your key is for Ultimate.  So you'll probably want to backup your personal data with Windows Easy Transfer and then you'll need to go through custom setup.
    Tuesday, December 19, 2006 9:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Lukas

Please post the results of the WGA diag tool:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 and include the error code of any error you're seeing.  Thanks a lot!

Wednesday, December 6, 2006 1:45 AM
  • Here's the log and it doesn't show any error:

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0723.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid License
    Detailed Status: 0x0
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-PMCM6-Y8FX9-7W2WB
    Windows Product Key Hash: zEJf4Za7xi+OE8pArEbqi0cXZYE=
    Windows Product ID: 78433-006-9000165-70858
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 6.0.5600.2.00010300.0.0.003
    ID: {57723046-0B0D-4F68-BB66-59F9753829F5}
    Is Admin: No
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.716.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium
    Architecture: 0x00000009
    Build lab: 5600.vista_rc1.060829-2230
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3175-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~2\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{57723046-0B0D-4F68-BB66-59F9753829F5}</UGUID><Version>1.5.0723.0</Version><OS>6.0.5600.2.00010300.0.0.003</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-7W2WB</PKey><PID>78433-006-9000165-70858</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2038410939-1307187994-3800675015</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>1006.001</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050321000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>95320500018400EC</HWID><UserLCID>0415</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central European Standard Time(GMT+01:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>      <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>  

Wednesday, December 6, 2006 8:26 AM
  • It looks like the product key you're using is blocked.  Can you tell me where you got it?
    Wednesday, December 6, 2006 11:59 PM
  • I got one key in e-mail from service@microsoft.com while registering for beta testing. I used it only to install Vista on one computer only once and never shared it with anybody.

However I'm not sure if there wasn't some kind of validation error when I was activating it. I remember I had to phone to MS call center in Poland and the man gave me other key or some kind of activation code.
    Thursday, December 7, 2006 11:13 AM
  • Could I ask you to activating again with the first key you tried.  It looks like the key your system is using right now is the default key.  You can reactivate through the System Properties panel.  Once you've entered your key be sure to click "Next" or press Enter, but do not click "Activate Windows online now".  Let me know if that works.  Thanks again!

Below is a post from an earlier thread that I think might explain what you're seeing. 

Rich Eizenhoefer - MS wrote:

I worked with CTL_Advance offline via email and we discovered that he was attempting to activate with the default product key installed by setup when one does not enter a key during setup.  From June through October 5th, MS customer service representatives were allowing a "phone override" activation for these keys when users called in.  This was a communication/logistics problem on our part; it took some time to get the "setup default keys" blocked in the PSS call centers.  The keys are blocked now, so neither online nor phone activation is allowed any longer.

Thursday, December 7, 2006 6:56 PM
  • Hi!
    When I enter the key I received in e-mail from MS (I can forward you that mail if you want to see it) and click next an error message saying "Product key error / The product key you have entered will not work with this edition of Windows Vista. / You must either run Windows Vista Setup or enter a Windows Vista Home Premium key." shows up.
    What should I do now?
    Monday, December 11, 2006 10:19 AM
  • Hello!

Please open a free service request by visiting: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?c1=509&gprid=9860 and post your SR number here.  It takes about a day for the me to be able to see it.  I'll contact you directly so we can figure out what kind of key you have.  Thank you!

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 10:04 PM
  • Unluckily an hour after I've posted the request, where you told me to, I got a phone call from MS and I've been told they cannot help me, because it's beta and they don't provide support for such.
    Wednesday, December 13, 2006 11:54 AM
  • It's true there might not be formal support yet by phone, but I should still be able to contact you directly through that channel.  I'll just need your SR#.  Thanks Lukas!
    Wednesday, December 13, 2006 11:51 PM
  • You didn't understand me.
    When I use the link you gave me a couple of posts before, it redirects me to Polish Microsoft Technical Support. Then I didn't called them, but used e-mail support and included all of the information you asked for. However an hour later THEY made a phone call to me (as I provided my phone number too) and told they cannot help me because it's beta.
    Now I don't see any way I can contact you :(
    Thursday, December 14, 2006 11:33 AM
  • Please tell me if I'm getting this right.  The link I gave you redirected you to Polish MS tech support, but you didn't call them.  Instead you made an e-mail support request.  Then someone called you from tech support and told you they can not provide you support.  Please correct me if I'm still misunderstanding you and thank you for your patience. :)

As long as you made an e-mail support request, then I believe you will have a service request (SR) number.  It will start with the letters SR and be followed by some letters and numbers.  You would have seen it on the screen at the end of submitting your service request and it would have been e-mailed to you.  (When I submit a service request from within the United States the e-mail comes from wradmin@microsoft.com. I'm not sure if it would come from elsewhere for you.)  I can use the SR number to look up your case online and contact you by e-mail.  It's the safest way for me to get your e-mail address.  I would not suggest posting your e-mail address here. 

Thursday, December 14, 2006 8:06 PM
  • Ohh I'm sorry, it's my mistake. I misread SR# as Serial Number before :). And you are right with the whole story :). The number is SRZ061213001215.
    And the one who should thank for patiance is me so thank you and I'm waiting for e-mail from you.
    Thursday, December 14, 2006 9:27 PM
  • Hello Lukas,

It looks like your service request ended up in a database to which I don't currently have quick access with staff being away for the holidays.  I was hoping I could quickly let you know which version your key will match, but it's proving to be a longer process that you should have to wait for and you'll have to go through Vista setup anyway.

First, please check the e-mail which gave you your key again to see if tells you which version your key is for.  Right now you're using a Home Premium version of Vista, but your key is made for either a higher or a lower version of Vista:

Lower: Home Starter, Home Basic

Higher: Ultimate, Business, or Enterprise

If your e-mail does not tell you which version your key is made for you should enter your product key in setup.  If your key is for a higher version of Vista, it should just let you upgrade at that time.  If it doesn't let you upgrade and only gives you the option for custom setup then your key is for a lower version of Vista.  Please back up your personal data before going through with custom setup.  There's a data and settings migration wizard called Windows Easy Transfer that can be run from your current Vista install.  It will collect your personal settings and transfer them.  Custom setup will reinstall with the key you entered which will mean your settings will be lost. 

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.  Thanks!

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 7:38 PM
  • I just got access to your SR.  It looks like your key is for Ultimate.  So you'll probably want to backup your personal data with Windows Easy Transfer and then you'll need to go through custom setup.
    Tuesday, December 19, 2006 9:17 PM