none
Please help me choose an exam. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I'm an Computer Science student. Right now I'm finishing my second year. Recently we've got an offer to take a free Microsoft exam. We can choose any exam that starts with "72-xxx". Obviously i googled that to see what exams are avaliable. The list is pretty long and I've spend some time to check some of the exams that seem intresting (and not too hard) for me. I've got time to register and take the exam until the end of this month so i have very little time to learn plus i have my uni exams starting next week which makes it even harder. I narrowed it down to two certifications:

Exam 72-432: TS: Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance

and
    Exam 72-433: TS: Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Database Development

Why these two? Mainly because databases are the thing I've got most experiance with. I finished a course which covered some theory and practical tasks in SQL 2008 (basic SQL queries, nothing about administration). Besides that I've recently finished an additional IBM course for academic students which I've successfuly completed and obtained an IBM certification "IBM Certified Academic Associate. DB2 9 Database and Application Fundamentals".

Well... thats pretty much all. Please help me pick an exam (maybe besides these two theres a diffrent one which I didnt notice). Also it would be great if you could tell me the chances of me passing one of these exams based on the information I've provided and the time i have avaliable. Microsoft says they are ment for people with 1-3 year experiance which is pretty scary for me...

Thank you in advance.

PS. Sorry for my english.

Sunday, June 5, 2011 11:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,

you should go and check the exam pages to see, where you know most topics. At the moment for me it looks like 70-433 is the one you have biggest chances in. But the experience you have is very limited and somehoe I doubt that you will have much success. But try it! The Self Paced Training Kit of the 70-433 exam is very good and there are also some other very nice books covering the testes topics. But it goes far beyond some basic sql queries. :)

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-432&locale=en-us

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-433&locale=en-us

The Skills Measured tab should be the most interesting part of the pages for you.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Sunday, June 5, 2011 1:19 PM
    Answerer
  • It seemed to me that these exam`s is very similar, but i have passed 70-433 and 70-432.

In 433 is 75-80% questions about T-SQL and it is for database developer`s.

In 432 all questions on DB administration.

As a result I think that you need to try...

• Marked as answer by Paul_K_ Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:45 AM
    Sunday, June 5, 2011 7:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

you should go and check the exam pages to see, where you know most topics. At the moment for me it looks like 70-433 is the one you have biggest chances in. But the experience you have is very limited and somehoe I doubt that you will have much success. But try it! The Self Paced Training Kit of the 70-433 exam is very good and there are also some other very nice books covering the testes topics. But it goes far beyond some basic sql queries. :)

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-432&locale=en-us

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-433&locale=en-us

The Skills Measured tab should be the most interesting part of the pages for you.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Sunday, June 5, 2011 1:19 PM
    Answerer
  • It seemed to me that these exam`s is very similar, but i have passed 70-433 and 70-432.

In 433 is 75-80% questions about T-SQL and it is for database developer`s.

In 432 all questions on DB administration.

As a result I think that you need to try...

• Marked as answer by Paul_K_ Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:45 AM
    Sunday, June 5, 2011 7:19 PM
  • Paul,

Is there any difference between Exam 70-432 and 72-432 because i am planning to write 72-432 exam.How are you planning for the exam?

could you help me in preparation.Do you have any material to prepare for this exam.If you had any material please send  me to the above email id: skolluri@live.com

Thank you

Friday, June 17, 2011 4:13 AM