What if anything will I gain by going from a P3, 1.3g and 512mb ram to say core 2 duo and 2 gigs ram RRS feed

• Question

• My server was made from older parts and now may motherboard is going out.

What persormace gains will i see if any, going to a bigher end processer and more ram.

I currently server all my mp3 and videos to 3 pc's, and an xbox 360.  I have no issues at all streamig HD video now.

And I do not run any ther aps on the WHS. 

Friday, January 23, 2009 7:51 PM

Answers

• Probably none!

A home server doesn't need a top of the range processor as it's not supplying hundreds of simultaneous requests, there are retail versions available with an Atom which appear to be fine. After saying that though, the increase of ram from 512mb to 2 gigs on an HP server certainly is noticeable and the whole server feels more responsive.

There is a really good thread in this section giving what people are running. (I think it's up to 17 pages?)

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 8:02 PM

All replies

• Probably none!

A home server doesn't need a top of the range processor as it's not supplying hundreds of simultaneous requests, there are retail versions available with an Atom which appear to be fine. After saying that though, the increase of ram from 512mb to 2 gigs on an HP server certainly is noticeable and the whole server feels more responsive.

There is a really good thread in this section giving what people are running. (I think it's up to 17 pages?)

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 8:02 PM
  • If you're satisfied with your performance right now, then probably nothing immediately. However, your hardware is old, so you will gain the potential for increased long-term reliability.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 1:17 AM