none
Is there any way to make account verification easier/faster?

Question

• Hi there,

I often have to help users who are UI related problems for Microsoft products, but they can't give me a screenshot because their account is not verified, and they're either not sure how to do it or it takes a long time.  Here's one example where someone doesn't know how to do it, but I've seen many:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e6c2f30c-f29f-47e5-944e-012b19fb1a98/how-can-my-account-be-verified-so-i-can-embed-images-and-add-urls?forum=windowsazurewebsitespreview

I started my account a long time ago so I don't really know what the process is like now, but given how many people who seem to have this issue, it seems like it's probably harder than it needs to be.  Is there any way to make this easier/faster for new users?

Thanks,
    Elliott

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 6:13 PM

All replies

• One mitigation would be to give forum admins the power to validate a user account, after seeing that they are clearly not posting spam.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2016 6:35 PM
  • I submitted an official request.

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, December 05, 2016 2:25 PM
  • I believe forum admins already have the ability to verify user accounts. But they do not monitor any of the forums. For example, they only ban users and delete spam if at least one post by the user has been flagged abusive. If the admins don't see spam, I doubt they would see a request for verification except in the official thread for that purpose.

Perhaps you meant giving forum moderators the ability to verify users.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Monday, December 05, 2016 4:08 PM
  • Yes, sorry, I did mean moderators. Can it be changed so they are able to do this?

thanks,
    David

Monday, December 05, 2016 4:13 PM
  • I think that would make it even more unruly. I'd like to see a page or web form specific to the verification process. Similar to this one. https://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/mailform/contactus.aspx?refurl=http%3a%2f%2fsocial.msdn.microsoft.com%2fForums%2fen-US%2fProfile%2fthread%2fddfb2508-3a9e-4f12-abab-e55e21d42086 Rather than the endless revolving verification threads in reportabug forum.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, December 05, 2016 4:35 PM
  • @Dave: not sure I follow. Surely, if we trust someone enough to be a moderator, we trust them enough to make a determination as to whether a user is posting legitimate questions. Likewise. we should allow any power user (e.g. rating points above 10,000) to do the verification.

Right now, I see so many new legit users complaining that they can't post images, so the system as it exists today is clearly not effective.

Monday, December 05, 2016 5:45 PM
  • Agreed, what's in place is certainly less than perfect. I'd be concerned empowering 1000's of users would lead to much confusion about who did what when and why.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, December 05, 2016 6:27 PM
  • Frankly, I don't think it would be a problem, and is generally the way StackOverflow operates. Having more users be able to do this would I think simply result on those things getting done faster, and keeping new users happier. :)
    Monday, December 05, 2016 8:47 PM