none
install programs RRS feed

• Question

• hi !!

can i only install add-ins in WHS or can i install any program ?
    i would like to have a ftp server, a web-server with asp.net support, a small database (mysql or other), photo album with video support.

all these features are probably standard in WHS ?
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 12:29 PM

Answers

• Windows Home Server is limited in it's funtionality to do the jobs it is sold for: Client backup, File sharing, Remote access.
    You can extend this functionality by add-ins.
    Installing other applications and services directly on Windows Home Server may be possible and is done sometimes, but is unsupported, may break the core WHS functionality now or in future and may be against the EULA. So its on your own risk.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 12:40 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server is limited in it's funtionality to do the jobs it is sold for: Client backup, File sharing, Remote access.
    You can extend this functionality by add-ins.
    Installing other applications and services directly on Windows Home Server may be possible and is done sometimes, but is unsupported, may break the core WHS functionality now or in future and may be against the EULA. So its on your own risk.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 12:40 PM
  • Most of the fucntionality you are looking is either already present in WHS, and also for most of these things there's Add-in's. Please have a look at Windows Home Server Add-Ins

Like Olaf already mentioned, you can install more or less any app on your server, however this unsupported and you may violate the EULA by doing so.
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 8:07 PM