Windows XP Validation Error - Product Key Incorrect? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently re-installed Windows XP and was instructed to activate windows. I entered the product key on the sticker on the tower but it tells me that it is incorrect. I ran 'Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool' which gave me the following:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Cached / Grace status: N/A, N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-WCJ8X-27R78-F4TTB
    Windows Product Key Hash: RteB13ejvf7oXTb/+60RuDVozzs=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2258594-01840
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: {B3B0C828-1633-4935-BF8D-ACE65D70F87D}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: N/A, N/A, N/A
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-179-2_025D1FF3-199-3
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-470-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{B3B0C828-1633-4935-BF8D-ACE65D70F87D}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0039.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-F4TTB</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2258594-01840</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-602162358-1383384898-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.                </Manufacturer><Model>Dimension 4700               </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.                </Manufacturer><Version>A09</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050622000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>46D738870184406D</HWID><UserLCID>2C09</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Atlantic Standard Time(GMT-04:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

---------------------------------

I checked the product key which was all correct but it stills informs me that the product key is wrong. I brought the computer directly from Dell and I know that the computer has a genuine version of Windows XP. Please I need help to fix this problem.

Friday, August 10, 2007 12:09 AM

Answers

•  

Sunil Ninan,

I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing and would like to provide you with some self-help options we have made available for our customers. Please follow the steps outlined below as it could either resolve your issue or, if need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

1.      Ensure you log onto the computer experiencing the issue with “Administrator” rights.

2.      Next we would like to confirm that you are running the most current version of the Genuine Advantage control on your computer. In order to do this please follow the below link and choose the “Validate Office” option.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

If the above steps did not resolve your issue lets continue with the steps below.

If you could also please follow the steps outlined below, the diagnostics Web Site will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing with Office.

http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en

Next follow the on-screen prompts to resolve the issue if any of the checks at the above site fail. If, after attempting to resolve the issue as per the instructions on the above site fails, please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”; you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1.      After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.

2.      Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Step 2 is to look on the computer itself, in the documentation you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, August 13, 2007 8:03 PM

All replies

• I am always receiving a message saying windows is invalid and asking for validation key; I don't have one; I bought the computer with windows and I don't know whether it was temporarry or not. What do I do now?

Friday, August 10, 2007 12:35 AM
  • I am having the same problem. I am down to 3 days to activate and don't know what will happen to my system if I don't validate. I don't really have another $100.00 to fork out for the dang OS again.

Friday, August 10, 2007 3:13 AM
  • Adami,

Please activate Windows XP by calling a Microsoft customer service representative. The Activation Wizard displays the toll free number that you can dial.

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative and activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

1. Click “Start”, point to” All Programs”, point to “Accessories”, point to” System Tools”, and then click “Activate Windows”.
    Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.

2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

3. Click “Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement”, click “Back”, and then click “Next”
    4. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box and then click “Next”.
    Note:  The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

5. Once activation is completed and you receive the following message, click “OK”.
    You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.
    More information on how to activate Windows XP at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890
    Also you may reference the following site for various telephone activation centers:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851.If you are done with the activation, kindly proceed in validating the copy of your software by going to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine .  Click “Validate Windows” button.
    Please post again if you need further assistance. Thank you.

Thank you

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Friday, August 10, 2007 7:59 PM
  •  

Milton,

We request all users initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool to try and identify the issue you may be having.

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:
    1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Friday, August 10, 2007 8:01 PM
  • Marebear,

We request all users initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool to try and identify the issue you may be having.

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:
    1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Friday, August 10, 2007 8:10 PM
  •  

Sunday, August 12, 2007 4:38 PM
  •  

Sunday, August 12, 2007 4:53 PM
  • hai; iam sunil ninan, please check my all system and  correct .also install me Windos XP Professional, please.

thankyou;

Monday, August 13, 2007 9:45 AM
  •  

Chntelle Ann,

Unfortunately, the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) support forum is able to provide support in English only.  Please open the following URL:  http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx .  This website will help make sure you receive the appropriate support information for your location, select your region setting from the list below and then click the arrow button. Next search the page and locate the service which you require. Have a great day and thank you for visiting the WGA Forum.

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, August 13, 2007 8:00 PM
  •  

El Pelon,

Unfortunately, the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) support forum is able to provide support in English only.  Please open the following URL:  http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx .  This website will help make sure you receive the appropriate support information for your location, select your region setting from the list below and then click the arrow button. Next search the page and locate the service which you require. Have a great day and thank you for visiting the WGA Forum.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Support Manager

Monday, August 13, 2007 8:02 PM
  •  

Sunil Ninan,

I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing and would like to provide you with some self-help options we have made available for our customers. Please follow the steps outlined below as it could either resolve your issue or, if need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

1.      Ensure you log onto the computer experiencing the issue with “Administrator” rights.

2.      Next we would like to confirm that you are running the most current version of the Genuine Advantage control on your computer. In order to do this please follow the below link and choose the “Validate Office” option.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

If the above steps did not resolve your issue lets continue with the steps below.

If you could also please follow the steps outlined below, the diagnostics Web Site will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing with Office.

http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en

Next follow the on-screen prompts to resolve the issue if any of the checks at the above site fail. If, after attempting to resolve the issue as per the instructions on the above site fails, please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”; you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1.      After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.

2.      Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Step 2 is to look on the computer itself, in the documentation you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, August 13, 2007 8:03 PM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Validation Code: 1
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-RDT36-M9M28-VPVHM
    Windows Product Key Hash: HJN2yznyBPL5E+5kgNq5FsHmzKs=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2212034-51200
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {45DC300F-4A2B-45CD-87E9-F80E419A9A4F}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.9.1
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80004005
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80004005
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 102
    Microsoft Office Professional 2007 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.7.111.0
    Office Diagnostics: 77F760FE-153-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3_B4D0AA8B-920-80070057

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{45DC300F-4A2B-45CD-87E9-F80E419A9A4F}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-VPVHM</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2212034-51200</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1993962763-117609710-842925246</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>775S61</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>P1.10</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20041129000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>DA8B37070184A06D</HWID><UserLCID>1C09</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>South Africa Standard Time(GMT+02:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.9.1"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.9.1"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>102</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120000-0014-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><PidType>19</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: no
    Marker string from BIOS: N/A
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Saturday, June 20, 2009 8:55 AM
  • Hello Indz28,

Your mgadiag report is showing us that your installation of XP Pro is not yet activated.  Until it is activated, the WGA validation process does not work.

The product key currently being used by your installation of XP is the default product key that SP3 uses when the user installs XP Pro but does not supply a genuine product key during installation.  (This is a change in SP3; prior releases of XP would not go forward with Setup without a valid product key.)  This product key cannot be activated, so you will have to enter a Genuine product key into the computer to get past the 30 days grace period.

Please see this MS KB article for instructions on how to activate:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 12:42 PM