Running variance report against a previous years budget RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need some help please. My wife uses MS money to manage a charity finances, just the basic budget reporting, transactions and variance reports etc. Its her end of year so she has entered the next years budget figures in to the app as she does every year...all is fine. However, she now needs to run a variance report against the budget year she has just exited (March), and the actuals are reporting against the new budget year budget figures which means the variance report is wrong.

I don't know anything about MS Money, however can someone tell me

1, do you create a new MS Money file for each budget year to prevent this?

2, if not, how do you differentiate this years budget numbers from last years so that you can run historical variance reports.

sorry if these sound like silly questions, however as stated she just uses the basics and has managed to get by till now.

Any help or guidance would be gratefully appreciated

Thanks

Darren

Friday, April 4, 2014 6:22 AM

All replies

• First, make a copy of your current file and then do any experimenting on that file.  If you like the result you can use that file.  If not, you can go back to what you have now.

If you are using Money Plus Sunset,  have a look at at:

Budgets>Change Your Budget Settings>Save or Open a Budget

and see if that will give you what you want.  

If you don't see that option, post back with what options you see and the version of MS Money that you are using.  In particular, let us know if you are using the "Advanced Budget".

Bill Becker

Friday, April 4, 2014 1:21 PM
  • Budgets can be saved and re-loaded as required. Customised reports can be created and modified as required. Look in detail at the Reports section of Money and decide what to do with its features.

If the previous year's budget has not been saved it will have to be re-entered. Alternatively, if a previous year's budget report has already been exported to Excel you could export the previous year's actuals and create the variance report in Excel.

Friday, April 4, 2014 1:24 PM
  • Hi, she is using an old version (version 5.0). we are unable to see where you might save the budget detail for a given year. When we select Report and chart gallery>tools>budget, there is no option to save. Are we looking in the wrong place?

thank you

Monday, April 7, 2014 6:28 AM
  • Hi Bill, its an old version (version 5.0), there does not seem to be this option in this version. Thanks
    Monday, April 7, 2014 6:29 AM
  • Old versions will have limited features and may not have the option to save budgets.

See the second post in this forum and update to the appropriate version for your region - unless your wife is still using an old version of Windows which will not support the newer version of Money.

Monday, April 7, 2014 6:47 AM