none
Moving HPC Cluster to new network

Question

• I have a cluster of 6 nodes running HPC 2008 r2. Using topology 2 (enterprise and private).

Its been working fine, but i had a requirement to move the servers to a different network (different physical domain). I shut down the nodes in cluster manager, then took each server out of the domain, and shut them all down. Once physically moved to the new location, powered them all back on, and changed the IP of the nic on the enterprise network. I didnt change the private IP's or configuration at all. In windows on each of the blades (which are the nodes) i can communicate with the rest of the network fine.

Now when i load cluster manager from the head node, it cant find any of the nodes, not even itself.

In the network config page, it still shows the enterprise network as having the old IP subnet. How do i change this to the new subnet?

Also, in powershell, if i use Set-HpcNetwork, i can set IP's for private and application networks, but not for enterprise network adapters. When i look at the status (Get-HpcNetworkInterface). it shows both nics, and the IP for the enterprise is still set to the old network. Why did this not change when i change the physical adapter in windows? how can i change it to what it should be please?

thanks.

• Edited by RetsofD Wednesday, September 19, 2012 4:24 PM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 4:14 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Because of an increased dependency of Active Directory Domain Services, Microsoft does not support moving an already installed and configured Windows 2008 or R2 failover cluster from one domain to another (see KB 269196).  I looked to see if you could export and import however the R2 export/import cluster configuration settings scripts only support re-import into same or another node in the same domain too.  We've had at least one customer develop their own process on hacking the scripts and SQL however this puts the system in an unsupported scenario which really means we've never tested the product in such a fashion to know if it will work properly.  A reinstall is your safest solution.

Best,

Jeff Ingalls

• Marked as answer by RetsofD Monday, September 24, 2012 8:01 AM
    Monday, September 24, 2012 12:59 AM