How to get 30fps? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've setup an OCS 2007 server and are testing video con quality with two PC's, a dual-core 2.16ghz Core Duo HP Laptop + a 1.86ghz Core2Duo desktop.  The laptop has a Logitech Notebook Pro webcam (Auto-focus carl zeiss lens), the desktop has the Orbit AF - same lens/line as the notebook.

The problem is that video call quality is extremely poor - blurry, low res, but also seems to be less than 15fps.  I realize there is a registry setting that can force the video at 640x480 which I have yet to test (surprisingly on both clients the RTC key did not exist in the registry - does this hack still apply?), but frankly at this point I'm more concerned about the framerate.

Through Logitech's webcam app the cameras are delivering 640x480 30fps, so USB issues are ruled out.  The network is 1GB LAN, performance is excellent in every other app network-wise so I don't think that's the issue.  These are some of the best PC webcams out there at the moment as well, unless the Communicator is defaulting to USB 1.1 speeds (Logitech's site mentions that the messenger app must support "USB 2.0" webcams, most don't).

Any ideas, or am I expecting too much?  30fps is necessary for what we want to do with this, will I have to go to Tandberg/Polycom to get what I want here?  HD isn't necessary, but a smooth frame rate is.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 3:07 PM

All replies

• Overall, my experience with the video quality has been pretty good. Definitely not HD, but I've not ever had local video calls be choppy or blurry. Cross-country video calls have always been good as well. So I'm thinking that there's something else going on.

You didn't apply a group policy to the clients, by chance? There is a setting in the group policy that allows you to restrict the bandwidth - which would produce bad calls.

I think you are out of luck w/ the framerate. Maybe in future versions, but for now I'm pretty sure you are stuck w/ about 15 fps. That really should be ok though....

I would, however, suggesting doing the "hi res" reg hack. Even if the reg key isn't there, create it and give it a try. There was a noticeable difference in quality when I did it.

Lastly - if you are doing a video conference call, the video actually goes through the front-end server. (as opposed to peer-to-peer for just a 2 person call). And I have noticed for sure that you will have terrible video/voice quality for conference calls if you OCS server is either a) underpowered or b) virtual. It doesn't sound like this is your issue, but it's worth noting.

Regards,

Matt

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:06 PM