none
Got accepted into WHS. Question on my old RAID set-up RRS feed

• Question

•  I posted this by accident on the software forum.

I just got back from my weekend vacation and received the email for acceptence into WHS!!!!! Question. I have an existing computer with 4 drives in RAID. I am using an ASUS Motherboard with 4 SATA on board connectors. Do I just start the installation process and let it install and WHS will see all 4 drives as one automatically?

Thanks,

Abe

Monday, March 5, 2007 6:32 PM

All replies

• I replied to the other thread you started ... here's the copy and paste:

When you install WHS, it will wipe out everything you have on those drives, so be careful if you have something already installed or if you have data you want to save. There are people using RAID and I'll look around for some of those threads, but if you can, just setup your drives in JBOD and let WHS take care of the disk. I'd have one disk installed - install WHS on that and then add the rest of your disks to the system and add them to the storage pool.

- Jim

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1277289&SiteID=50

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1258289&SiteID=50

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1270053&SiteID=50

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1249972&SiteID=50

As a reminder, RAID is not supported in WHS ....
    Monday, March 5, 2007 6:49 PM
  • Abe,

I would really go into the BIOS and configure your MB to show those disks as individual drives, rather than as a single drive through your onboard RAID. Your motherboard probably supports three methods of exposing the drives called something like Legacy IDE, RAID, and AHCI. You should set the MB to the first.

There are several reasons for this: you'll have more available disk space, you'll be getting back the performance drain that software RAID creates, and you'll be able to take advantage of WHS Drive Extender's share duplication features. This is similar to a software RAID 1 implementation, except that it operates at a more granular level (the individual network share) and offers load balancing among multiple disks in the storage pool.

The big reason, though, is that you'll have to load drivers for your RAID controller twice in the setup process, and you may not be able to install WHS on the array at all, if you can't get it to recognize the array as a drive at the right point in the process. You're a lot more likely to get everything working with a minimum of fuss without the array to deal with.

Good luck!
    Monday, March 5, 2007 9:51 PM
  • Ken Thank you for your response. Howver, I do not want the RAID configutation anymore and would like to install WHS from scratch. Should I remove all the drives except for one to start the installation process of WHS. Then add the 3 additional drives and allow WHS to recognize it?

Abe

Monday, March 5, 2007 11:03 PM
  • Yes, I realized that you don't want the RAID array any more. My suggestion would remove that array.

There's a setting in your BIOS that controls how your onboard disk controllers present attached disks to the world. On current ASUS motherboards that include onboard RAID, there are three choices. You want the one that doesn't require any additional drivers. Once you've changed that setting, your drives will all be individually accessible. At that point, you can install WHS and let it format all 4 drives during it's installation. There's no need to remove three of the drives; it's a pain to be disconnecting and reconnecting them if you don't have to.

It's possible, by the way, that you will still need a driver floppy with a controller driver during setup. It depends on a lot of things, but mostly whether WHS beta has drivers for your hardware included.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 2:41 AM
  • Thanks Ken. But what settings are you referring too?
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 4:30 AM
  • When you bought your motherboard, you should have received a manual which describes all the settings in the BIOS. You'll find the specific settings there. Assuming you built your PC yourself (since you know the manufacturer of the motherboard I've been taking that for granted) you probably adjusted that setting while you were tuning the BIOS during the build process.

I know that all motherboards I know of with RAID support built in have a way to turn that support off in the BIOS, but I don't own your motherboard so I can't easily give you the specifics.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 5:08 AM
  • Apopilot,
    what Asus Board do you have? I may be able to help with your settings. Also if you no longer have your manual you can go to asus.com click on support then downloads select your model and you can find downloads for manuals, bios updates and onboard drivers. Be patient as there website does down alot.
    good luck
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 2:18 AM