What cloud service should I use for video files? RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to set up a process to automatically upload some recorded TV files from my WHS machine to a cloud service such as SkyDrive.  The problem is that these files are likely to be quite large - perhaps up to 2GB.  MS's Live Skydrive service would be ideal as it gives you storage of 25GB but the downside is that individual files are limited to 50MB which is way too small for video files.  Any ideas on what other services I should use?  Would dropbox work for this?  How about Live Mesh?  Any other services that would allow files that are up to 2GB to be uploaded in a process that is easy to automate from a batch file or script?

Will Live Mesh play nicely with WHS?  Assuming that it will and it does allow larger files then this may be a good solution. 

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 2:41 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, cloud services are just not going to let you store the volume of data you're looking for, at least not for free. Live Mesh allows only 5 GB total, for example. You could look into Amazon's S3, or Rackspace's Cloud Files, or any of a number of other "for fee" providers.

As for automation, I'm not aware of any current add-ins for Windows Home Server that would let you atuomate the uploading/syncing of files to your cloud-based video storage. That means you'll have to roll your own. Your best source of assistance in that case would probably be the individual provider's technical support, because it's likely that they'll all have their own unique protocols and APIs for accessing their services automatically.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 5:43 PM