Invisible Music Files in User1 RRS feed

• Question

•    I have an issue with missing music files when accessed through the UPnP connector (User1) tab in WMP11 on Vista.  I copied all the music to the Music Share, and enable Media Sharing.  When I browse the library under "User1" in WMP11 on the Vista clients, many of the files are not shown.  I confirmed that they are actually in the shared folder and play when accessed directly from the share.  No errors are displayed and no corruption is evident. 

I searched many permutations of this problem and read some similar issues with no real resolution.  I disabled replication and waited 24hrs.  No changes to speak of.  The files are there, and play, but are not visible from the media connector.

The file names are of variable length.  Some with short name are affected and some with long ones are not.  I hesistate to add the folder to the search path due to data corruption seen by other users.

/Thanx

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 10:21 PM

Answers

• It takes time for the Media Connect service to rebuild the catalog.  I've experience this too.  There are another couple of options you can try.  Turn media sharing off then back on.  Turn media sharing off, reboot, then turn it back on.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 10:53 PM
  •  

I have not experienced this issue before.  Do all your music files show up twice?  You may need to disconnect Windows Media Player from the home server and have it refind it again.
    Wednesday, April 9, 2008 8:56 PM

All replies

• It takes time for the Media Connect service to rebuild the catalog.  I've experience this too.  There are another couple of options you can try.  Turn media sharing off then back on.  Turn media sharing off, reboot, then turn it back on.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 10:53 PM
  • Interesting...I tried as you said, and since I needed to reboot for updates anyways, I did that too; presto...after an initial brief look, all the files are now visible...but now they show up twice??

Will this too clear up as the files re-index?

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 12:06 PM
  •  

I have not experienced this issue before.  Do all your music files show up twice?  You may need to disconnect Windows Media Player from the home server and have it refind it again.
    Wednesday, April 9, 2008 8:56 PM
  • On my Vista client, I turned off media sharing --> Find others' media.  then, went bat to the pull down and turned it back on...the duplicates are gone, but now, I'm back to square one with the same files missing as before???  I performed no actions on the server at all 

Sooo...I went to the server and stopped...then started media sharing...PRESTO again.  This time all music appears...once as is planned 

Thank you for your excellent help. 

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 9:21 PM
  •  

You're welcome!  Glad you were able to get it working!
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 12:45 AM