none
Forum bug or a user is posting a ton of weird stuff RRS feed

Answers

All replies

• Hi Mark

Thanks for reporting this problem. I also reported it to the Answers PM.

We are trying to contact R. C. White now. We think he may be using the NNTP Bridge to post and this may be where the problem is originating.

Thanks again.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 8:51 AM
  • +1

I now have at least 6 alerts that contain my posts, but allocated to this mysterious RC White, MVP.

All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

• Edited by Jetta48 Sunday, April 4, 2010 1:21 PM more info.
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 9:53 AM
  • Hi, Mark - and all.

This one is from the REAL me!

I wan't aware of this aberration until another MVP alerted me this morning.  Last week, my Windows Live Mail began behaving strangely, showing my incoming mail and news messages as attachments, rather than as message bodies.  Since then, all my tries to fix that problem have only made things worse, it seems.

I've been trying to use the NNTP Bridge since the beta started over a year ago.  I've never been comfy with either the Bridge or the Forums directly.  But they've never played tricks like THIS before!

I hope someone in Redmond is working on this, because I don't think the cause - whatver it is - originated on this end of the connection.

I don't think I caused it, but believe me, I sure am sorry about it.  :>(

RC

R. C. White, CPA Microsoft Windows MVP
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 6:37 PM
  • Hi RC

It's certainly not your fault.

I still think it has something to do with the NNTP Bridge, that thing has been a pita since they first released it.

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 6:47 PM
  • Hi, Mark - and all.

I wan't aware of this aberration until another MVP alerted me this morning.  Last week, my Windows Live Mail began behaving strangely, showing my incoming mail and news messages as attachments, rather than as message bodies.  Since then, all my tries to fix that problem have only made things worse, it seems.

I've been trying to use the NNTP Bridge since the beta started over a year ago.  I've never been comfy with either the Bridge or the Forums directly.  But they've never played tricks like THIS before!

I hope someone in Redmond is working on this, because I don't think the cause - whatver it is - originated on this end of the connection.

RC

Nothing to forgive - hope it gets sorted soons.
    All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 7:11 PM
  • Hi, Mark - and all.

I wasn't aware of this aberration until another MVP alerted me this morning.  Last week, my Windows Live Mail began behaving strangely, showing my incoming mail and news messages as attachments, rather than as message bodies.  Since then, all my tries to fix that problem have only made things worse, it seems.

I hope someone in Redmond is working on this, because I don't think the cause - whatever it is - originated on this end of the connection.

RC

Hi RC.

Have you considered that a virus may be causing the aberrations with your messages?

There apparently is a virus that causes all message bodies to appear as attachments (see  http://www.winvistatips.com/all-email-showing-up-attachments-t811018p3.html)

Peter.R
    (Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge 1.0.0.0)
    "There are more things in Heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 7:22 PM
  • Hi - again - Peter.

I say "again" because this is my THIRD attempt to post this.  :>(  This Forum interface is VERY unfriendly - at least to me!

Yes, I ahve considered the possiblity of a virus, although it would be my first in 30+ years of computing, including 30+ years online including 15+ years of Usenet and Internet.  So I had Microsoft Security Essentials run a Custom Scan last night.  It took about 10 hours to do a Full Scan of the 3 most-likely-to-be-infested volumes:

C:\ - Windows, Program Files, etc. - 60 GB;

E:\ - Almost all my Downloads, plus other debris and detritus - 100 GB;

H:\ - Message Store, both current and superseded, plus more "stuff" - about 80 GB.

MSE reported "No threats..."

RC

Monday, April 5, 2010 7:36 PM
  • Thanks for the updates RC.

Have you tried launching your newsreader since this happened?  Or are you only connecting via the forums now?
    Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 5:24 AM
  • Thanks for the updates RC.

Have you tried launching your newsreader since this happened?  Or are you only connecting via the forums now?
    Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 5:24 AM
  • There's ANOTHER user who has the same thing

link:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Profile/en-US/?user=SoGreat

I Think That its an hacker who takes posession of user acc and make them spam to get them banned or to not get HIM banned...

░░░░-▒▒▒▒-▓▓▓▓
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 8:30 PM
  • From looking at the posts from that user, I get the impression that they are a spammer.

The posts are all on the same topic.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 5:02 AM
  • >From looking at the posts from that user, I get the impression that they are a spammer.

>The posts are all on the same topic.

Glad we can 100% agree on something !!

Clearly a spammer and if you look at the topics he's equally clearly one of the "convert your media files" spammers. (That we Moderators all love so much).

Mike Walsh

FAQ sites: (SP 2010) http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com; (v3) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com and (WSS 2.0) http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com
    Complete Book Lists (incl. foreign language) on each site.
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 1:59 PM