Does Microsoft Sync Framework supports Windows 8 and Win RT? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I saw a session online on - Channel9, as per that Microsoft Sync Framework 4.0 October 2010 CTP supports Win8 and WinRT.

So I thought of downloading it and try to use it and learn it. But eventually I realized that currently the CTP is not available for download.are they are going to release any new version for MS Sync framework which can support Win8 and WinRT? Or it is already out there?

If they are then when it will be available, I don't want the exact date just Q4-12 / Q1-13? 

Thanks,

Prajakta

Thursday, December 13, 2012 10:15 AM

All replies

• What was shown in the video is sample app built using the Sync Framework Toolkit (what used to be known as v4 CTP) running on WinRT. I don't think they said the CTP supports Win8 and WinRT. the CTP was built long before Win8.

the CTP is not available because the CTP was eventually released as the Sync Framework Toolkit. that's what you should be looking for.

apart from the sample shown on BUILD, am not aware of any version being worked on for WinRT specifically.

You can still run Sync Fx or Sync Toolkit on Win8, just not on RT. If you want to run in WinRT, you can grab the code for the Sync Toolkit yourself and get it to compile with WinRT.

Friday, December 14, 2012 9:19 AM
  • I have managed to get a WinRT app syncing to an azure hosted service.

I used the WM65sample and WM65clientcachecontroller projects from the Toolkit as a starting point.

I modified the code to use sqlite as a db cache, and tweaked the code to accomodate for changes in the winrt / 4.5 framework. (Things like making use of the async await patter and also making use of the new HttpClient class).

So, it's definitely possible and didn't take too long really.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:36 PM
  • I actually wrote a blog the other day about the same thing: http://jtabadero.wordpress.com/2013/01/09/synchronizing-winrtsqlite-using-sync-framework-toolkit/

didn't go as far as moving to HttpClient though...

• Edited by JuneT Friday, January 11, 2013 12:56 AM
    Friday, January 11, 2013 12:55 AM
  • Wow, just had a glance. Looks like a great article and one I could have done with a few weeks back.

I will have a proper read and see if I can use it to help with (or replace!) my implementation.

Incidentally, another tweak I made was with the sample storagehandler. I have done away with the collections of CRUD methods for different entities and used reflection to write common CRUD operations which can handle any entity in the scope. 

At the moment, there is still some 'database specific' code in there, but I will be planning to refactor a little bit soon to provide a nice common base.

Not sure if this is a reasonable approach (being new to the sync framework and all), but one of my goals was to reduce the time spent tweaking the sync code for new/altered tables.

Friday, January 11, 2013 9:19 AM
  • you should write an article about it...

didn't go as far as improving the code, just got it to a minimum to get it up and running. and at the same time, I want to illustrate how it works. I leave it up to them to refactor it, at least they know how the basics work and they can improve on it.

I think the reflection approach to CRUD operations is very nice to have...I'd be interested to see it :)

Friday, January 11, 2013 9:59 AM
  • We plan to use MS Sync v2.1 with Windows Server 2008 and Windows 8. 

Can somebody from MS confirm the availability on these platforms? 

Friday, January 18, 2013 10:43 AM
  • 2.1 works on both Windows Server 2008 and Windows 8 Desktop but not for Windows Store Apps (Metro App). for Windows Store Apps you have to use the Sync Framework Toolkit and do some customization (as outlined in the blog post above)

Saturday, January 19, 2013 2:54 AM