Email Recipients Dropped RRS feed

• Question

• We recently had two seperate occurences where an email message with an external recipient is dropped. The message was also CC'd to both a couple internal and one other external recipient and they did get the message.

When you view the message in Outlook the "TO:" field is missing all-together. Not even there. You do see the CC: recipients.Everyone except the dropped recipient gets the message.

I figured that the users Outlook cache was corrupted, so I had them recreate the email message as they did originally. They would start typing in the users name in the TO: box, and Outlook would auto-fill the name. I had them delete the name from the auto-fill, then click TO:, and manually select the correct recipient.

This did fix it, at least temporarily. About a month later, the same recipient did the same problem again.

I'm assumming this is a CRM problem because of the two occurences, both involved recipients that were tracked via CRM.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 1:25 PM

Answers

• Sounds like an Outlook issue to me.  CRM has no control over the to: field in Outlook, other than when you select somebody from the CRM addressbook.

May be a problem with the recipient cache in their Outlook.  I think you were on the right track to delete the auto-fill name out of there.  Perhaps they have a contact record for the user without an email address on it, and it is auto-filling the contact without the email address.

To test if it had anything to do with CRM, have them select the contact from the CRM address book next time they email this person, and see if he gets dropped that time.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 1:26 AM

All replies

• Sounds like an Outlook issue to me.  CRM has no control over the to: field in Outlook, other than when you select somebody from the CRM addressbook.

May be a problem with the recipient cache in their Outlook.  I think you were on the right track to delete the auto-fill name out of there.  Perhaps they have a contact record for the user without an email address on it, and it is auto-filling the contact without the email address.

To test if it had anything to do with CRM, have them select the contact from the CRM address book next time they email this person, and see if he gets dropped that time.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 1:26 AM
  • Hi Joel,
    Thanks for the feedback. I actually took it a step further since that post. I deleted the Outlook 2003 cache file for the two users that are having this problem (a .NK2 file specific to user). I thought I had it licked, but it came back again once more yesterday.

I thought it was Outlook too, still might be. But it seems also related to CRM since it only ever happens to a contact that is in CRM. Another clue is the excessive amount of time before a contact is auto-filled.It feels like to me that Outlook is trying to lookup a contact in CRM's database, and then either failing or giving corrupt data.

HMMMMMM. I wonder if theres a way to force Outlook to check the users Outlook contacts only and not search the database. I guess I could just turn off the CRM address book. Not sure of consequences thoough.

Imran, thank you for the link- I'm going to give that a try too.
    Friday, June 20, 2008 12:52 PM
  • We have the same problem in our CRM 3.0 installation.

What happens is that, if you click properties on the CRM contact in the To field, all the information fields are empty incl. e-mail address.

The problem only happens if you write a name in the To field and then use auto name check to find the CRM Contact. If you manually look up the contact in CRM Contacts then there is no problem.

If you only have the faulty recipient in you To field and CC and BCC fields are empty a popup error will show and the e-mail can't be sent. However if there is just one recipient with a working e-mail adress, no error is shown and the message is only sent to this one person. This is quite critical as people have to check outgoing e-mails in the sent items folder each time they want to make sure everyone gets the e-mail.

We made a support case with Microsoft and also got a fix for it, but it is not working. They have a knowledgebase article for the problem and also a hotfix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924079. However we still have the problem after applying the patch.

We havent applied Roll-up 3 yet so perhaps the problem is gone permanently if applying this? I will for sure give it a try.

Kristian

Monday, October 13, 2008 10:02 AM
  • I never could figure out what was wrong. Eventually I simply reinstalled the Windows XP and all the programs including CRM  from scratch. Since then it has been fine.
    Monday, October 13, 2008 1:37 PM