Why am I getting "The configured license key is not valid" messages? RRS feed

• Question

• I have just installed MS Visual Studio 2012 on my Windows 7 machine. I copied one of my projects, originally built in VS 2008, into a new folder and tried to build it. After some tweaking, I think I have succeeded, but with an irritating thing happening. When my main project builds, the output window tells me the build succeeded, but I get a pop-up message saying "The configured license key is not valid on this machine." And the output window has a line that says "Wrong method key". There is no indication of what method it is referring to. Can you please tell me why I am getting this message and how to get rid of it?

I tried creating a plain ordinary WinForms project and building it, and it worked fine. Could this have something to do with the conversion?

Thanks very much!

• Moved by Amanda Zhu Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:04 AM not VS general issue and not sure where it can be moved to
    Wednesday, September 4, 2013 8:26 PM

Answers

• Sounds like it might be a 3rd party control which hasn't been licenced on your machine.

Cheers -

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dave PatrickMVP Friday, September 13, 2013 12:27 AM
    Thursday, September 5, 2013 6:18 PM
  • My assumption when I made this post was that the problem was that my copy of Visual Studio 2012 was not licensed correctly, hence my choice of the Visual Studio General Support forum.

However, I have since learned that the message came from another company's library that my project included, and it was not a Microsoft issue at all.  I have pointed out to that company that they should include their product name in their error messages.

RobR

Thursday, September 12, 2013 12:57 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for your post.

I am afraid that the issue is out of support range of VS General Question forum which mainly discusses WPF & SL designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System and Visual Studio Editor.

Which type of application do you work with? Windows Forms app? Which language do you use to develop this app/project?

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu <THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, September 5, 2013 6:30 AM
  • Sounds like it might be a 3rd party control which hasn't been licenced on your machine.

Cheers -

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dave PatrickMVP Friday, September 13, 2013 12:27 AM
    Thursday, September 5, 2013 6:18 PM
  • My assumption when I made this post was that the problem was that my copy of Visual Studio 2012 was not licensed correctly, hence my choice of the Visual Studio General Support forum.

However, I have since learned that the message came from another company's library that my project included, and it was not a Microsoft issue at all.  I have pointed out to that company that they should include their product name in their error messages.

RobR

Thursday, September 12, 2013 12:57 PM